1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Important Year

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Marm0010, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Has anybody done anything in their school to celebrate the 2011 Year of the Bible or have already done something? I want to include reading the Bible stories in Collective Worship but would like a way to get the whole school involved in understanding why this year and the Bible is so important to Christians.
    Any inspiration/ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Has anybody done anything in their school to celebrate the 2011 Year of the Bible or have already done something? I want to include reading the Bible stories in Collective Worship but would like a way to get the whole school involved in understanding why this year and the Bible is so important to Christians.
    Any inspiration/ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Didn't know it was the year of the Bible? Where can I find out more?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Do you mean it's the 400th anniversary of the King james Bible?
    In which case you could compae versions of famous stories or quotes from King James with more modern paraphrases or translations.

5. Hi,
    Yes the 400th anniversary and so 2011 is being marked as "the year of the Bible". I like the idea of comparing the Bible to modern translations. Thank you.
    Any further ideas appreciated x

6. There is a puppet theatre group called "Hands of Faith", (Ithink), who do small shows that retell the bible stories using modern day tunes with lyrics altered. i think they visit schools as well as churches. Google them or look for their facebook page.
    We have asked different churches from our community to come in and take a whole school assembly, giving each person a different Bible story to focus on. 3 people have been in so far, 2 ministers and 1 lay preacher and more are coming next half term.
    We have also started going to church at the beginning or end of each term and showing our work to parents .. harvest, christmas, new year and we are going again for Easter.
    We are not a church school but the services have been very successful. We have a collection that always goes towards our fund raiser of the year - oxfam classroom this year.
    This week we have had visitors from "Church school", (American, German and Canadian students) who have led assembly and workshops with our Y4,5 and 6s on the "Life of Jesus". I'm not sure if this is a local thing but I can find out if you need more information.
    Hope this helps x

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well the publication of a Bible in a language available to the 'ordinary people'- as opposed to a Latin one, which the priest interpreted for the people was a vast step forward.
    The fact that it was commissioned by King James made England a world leader & the fact that it is still the basis of many translations makes it vitally important. The NKJ version (New King James) is just an update using more modern language & this is one of the most widely used versions today.

8. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We plan on hosting a book burning ceremony (mainly bibles of course). It is cross curricular as it links to irreversible changes in Science.

Although I think it might fail the risk assessment as I plan to use a whole drum of oil.

Besides that I do not plan to celebrate the 'year of the bible'. I might consider doing something on the Year of Forests or Year of Chemistry.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Are you sure?