1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: Try out the new forums - beta site

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 10, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi everyone,

As many of you are aware we have been working on the new forums.

As promised, we are now in a position to open the beta version to the rest of the Community.

The new beta site can be accessed here:

Please remember that this is a new platform so there will be glitches and teething problems during the second phase of the testing.

Please keep in mind that the new forum is a work in progress and things will change.

Your feedback is important and we are keen to know what you think.

Thank you

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Me think me like! [​IMG]

3. TES_Rosaline

Thank you GLsghost. I'm glad you like the new forum.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

TBH, it wouldn't have to try very hard to be better than this one! I do have some questions about things I have noticed already - I have put queries on the new site.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

GL, how did you get in? A few of us on Opinion can't. I clicked on the green 'here' and was asked for my name and password. Username? Real name?

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I can't get in! It comes up with the server asking for a username/password.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Me too. I obviously put in my TES user name/password but that is not what it seems to want.

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I think I broke it! [​IMG] I saw it was open and just put my username and password in. I seemed to be the first one there - like being the first person in a swimming pool!

I can't get in any more though. Seems like I created a hiccup straight away!

9. TES_Rosaline

Sorry about the intermittent glitch on the beta site. Everyone should now be able to get in and post, hopefully.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's working now. I neither like nor dislike it. I assume that we'll get use to it.

11. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I quite like it. It certainly seems less clunky than this site at first glance. I can't be doing with the list of instructions though. There seem to be far too many that hint at riches to come. I'll et someone else work it out and then ask them how to do it!

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It is. Pages load much faster. The rich formatting editor appeared as the default, but I can see it's possible to toggle to the simple editor if you want, but why anyone would is a mystery to me.

Sadly, it's still got the Micky Mouse Yankee spellchecker which pretends you're an idiot for using English spelling correctly. It also thinks that TES is an error.

13. Dunteachin

I like it, I really do! It looks fresh, modern and has some good features. I'm glad numbered posts are back. It won't take long to get the hang of. If anyone tries to turn Personal into the old Opinion, I get the feeling it'll be dealt with swiftly. There's a much more professional feel about the place.

14. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I must be doing something wrong - there were lots of really old posts on Personal.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You're not, kitty. I think the beta site is showing a snapshot of the threads that were current at the time the testing was started. I expect when it goes live, it will synchronise with the most recent threads.

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I wondered about the 'new Beta site' which seemed to stop posts around last Feb/March.

Like everything the 'proof of the pudding will be in the eating'.

One quick question to the admin team, will I lose my Hotlist? It's one facility I use all the time; to check on recent posts to threads in which I'm interested and also as a 'quick shortcut' straight to my most visited forums.

17. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

Hi there. I like it but can't find Opinion... Has it gone? Sorrim x

18. Dunteachin

Sorrim - Opinion will no longer exist. You missed the fireworks!

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Numbered posts! Hurrah! I didn't notice.

My thoughts too, Dunt. Just post our stray thoughts on Personal.

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not really had time to experiment with first weeks back at school, so maybe this question will be answered later when it 'transfers' finally but

My question is couldn't access my thread on Elderly parents, unless I click on Community which takes me back to the 'old' site and then accessing from there?

i was playing around trying to pick some threads to try to add to 'following' (I preseume the modern version of Hotlist but can't seem to access any of the present threads other than moving off the Beta site?