1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: Try out the new forums before the new site is launched

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 16, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that the new forums are due to be launched early next week.

I'll try to give you more information as soon as I have it later this week, but I wanted to give you as much notice/warning as possible before we go live.

Please be aware that the new site will be a 'work in progress', there could be bugs in the system that still need to be resolved but hopefully the new site will be easier to navigate and use - once people get the hang of the new features.

If you have anything that you want to save on the current forums then please can you do so now otherwise you will lose it forever when the new site goes live next week.

If you haven’t already taken the opportunity to visit and post on the beta version of the new forums then please do so.

This is your chance to take a look at the new structure, give us your feedback, find any new bugs and familiarise yourself with the new software.

Please be aware that the beta version includes posts up until February this year, and any new posts will be deleted when the next and final migration takes place next week.

You can find the beta version of the new forums here.

2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the confusion.

I posted at the end of a very long day and some of the things I said may have been a bit confusing so I hope this message will help to clarify a few things:

If you have anything that you want to save on the current forums then please can you do so now otherwise you will lose it forever when the new site goes live next week.

This applies if you have a blog or have posted on a thread in a forum which will not be transferred to the new site. Please see the list below for more information on what forums are moving to the new forums.

This also applies to people using the beta version of the new forums. All new posts created during the testing process will be deleted.

Content has been migrated across from this forum to the new one for some time now.

The final stage of the process will involve moving recent content across from here and then adding it to the other data taken from the forums.

The final part of the migration will take around eight hours. This means that you will not be able to access the current forum or the beta site. I'll give more information about when this is likely to happen later in the week.

However, if there is important information that you need to refer to during the time when the site will be down then I suggest copying and saving those posts.

Does this mean we lose everything from Feb onwards?

No, a lot of the content will be moved from the current forum to the new one.

The following forums will have content moved from here to the new site:

Staffroom

Welcome lounge & help

Education news

Workplace dilemmas

Personal

Career clinic

Workplace

Early years

Primary

Secondary

Independent

Special educational needs

Further education

Vocational

Teaching overseas

Role

Thinking of teaching

Trainee and student teachers

New teachers (NQTs)

Teaching assistants

Overseas trained teachers

Jobseekers

Supply teachers

Private tutors

Heads of department

Senior leadership team

Headteachers

Governors

Retirement

Subjects

Art and design

Business studies

Classics

Computing & ICT

Design and technology

Drama and performing arts

English

Geography

History

Mathematics

Media studies

Modern foreign languages

Music

Physical education

PSHE

Religious education

Science

Social sciences

Whole school

Assessment

Behaviour

Inspections

Pay and conditions

Professional development

School trips

Home time

Entertainment

Cookery

Book club

Health and wellbeing

Pregnancy

Parenting

Sellers’ forum

Scotland & Wales

Scotland - education news

Scotland - Primary

Scotland - prospective teachers

Scotland - curriculum

Cymru - education news

At the last TES revamp the contents of my hotlist were not deleted. Will this also be the case later this month when NuBetaTes goes live?

Unfortunately, your hotlist will not be safe. The scale of the forums would have made it difficult to move the contents of all the threads as well as everyone’s individual hotlist. If your hotlist contains threads in one of the aforementioned forums then the content will be moved to the new forums but you will have to create a new hotlist where you can select threads and forums to ‘watch’.

Why launch a new system that could be riddled with bugs?

We have worked hard to resolve any issues that have arisen in testing, and continue to do so ahead of launch. Unfortunately the nature of software change is that there will always be little niggles that reveal themselves when a system goes live. In the same way with an app on your phone has continuous updates, we too will continuously update and improve Community after the site goes live. Our first priority will be fixing anything that might not work as expected, and then we’ll move onto introducing enhancements that the community users have requested.

Assuming hotlist contents are retained and Opinion is no more, will any Opinion threads saved in my hotlist automatically disappear into the ether?

Members’ hotlists will not be transferred to the new site so you will not have any saved threads. However, you will have the option to create a new hotlist by selecting threads and forums that you wish to ‘watch’.

Opinion, along with a number of other threads will be removed and will no longer be accessible on the new site, if there is any content in these threads you wish to keep we recommend you save this information ahead of next week.