1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Implications for KS1/2 of dropping PoS

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by tafkam, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The KS1/2 Programme of Study for ICT is horrendously outdated, having been written nearly 15 years ago, but most primaries don't have the capability or capacity to do a great deal different from what has always been done.
    While clearly the emphasis in future is intended to be on computer science/programming, how can primary schools effectively build foundations for this?
    I've looked at Storytelling Alice for KS2, and already use Scratch. Would secondaries expect/want any more than this?
    Personally, my view is that we ought to continue teaching much of the office software - and just get better at it!

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The KS1/2 Programme of Study for ICT is horrendously outdated, having been written nearly 15 years ago, but most primaries don't have the capability or capacity to do a great deal different from what has always been done.
    While clearly the emphasis in future is intended to be on computer science/programming, how can primary schools effectively build foundations for this?
    I've looked at Storytelling Alice for KS2, and already use Scratch. Would secondaries expect/want any more than this?
    Personally, my view is that we ought to continue teaching much of the office software - and just get better at it!