1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Implementing CFE

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by TEACHER16, Dec 10, 2010.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

How is your school implementing CFE? I am a newly qualified teacher, however I am doing supply at the moment and am not in one specific school long enough to see what is happening.

2. We don't know! Not very useful I'm afraid. I've been teaching 4 years now, and trying to work out what the CfE actually means for classroom practise has made me feel less confident about my teaching ability than when I was at uni. [​IMG]
    Where do you start? I know that ultimately that guidance needs to come from above (HT/PTs etc) but I'd actually like to know where teachers found it most useful to begin with their own class. And has what you have done actually changed how the class runs day to day and really changed children's experiences for the better, or has it ended up being a paper exercise where all you have done is changed the way you have planned/justified planning?

Sorry for hi-jacking Teacher16. This did start as a reply to you!

We keep on getting told that it means more flexibility, but from what I've seen so far it feels as if all that's happening is that people are trying to work out how to justify what they do with a whole set of outcomes.

3. No idea - think we're at the 'work in progress' stage. I think it's good to think in terms of more active learning and different ways to show success, unfortunately what it seems to mean in real terms is some use of active learning/photographs as evidence, and lots more paperwork/tracking/unwieldy plans. How we're going to keep track of where pupils are (individually) for all the outcomes, plus prove it, plus provide solid information for next teacher, plus have time to regularly discuss children's individual plans/self-assessment of their learning, then have pupils peer-assessing, group working, videoing, making bonny displays whilst summarising their experiences then expressing them through the medium of dance I have no idea. Sorry, just noticed I wrote this in the style of a CfE outcome [​IMG]

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Thankyou both for your replies :)

5. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Yes.
    And yes! Very disappointing.

6. We just changed the headers and footers for everything we've got to "Curriculum for Excellence". An exagerration obviously, but not much . . .

7. I'm trying to look at profiling in P7 and S3.
    When reading about what others do, I found that a profile might contain some or all of the following: grades/levels achieved by the pupil in the various subjects studied up that point (plus literacy, numeracy and h&wb) with an additional section for target setting and self evaluation by the pupil. Has anyone found good site showing examples of the layout and appearance of profiles ??
    <font size="2" face="Arial">The reports we write just now seem to cover a lot of what is needed. </font>
    Are we merely adding a new CfE title to what we do already (as "deleted" rightly identifies in their message) - granted at our school we need to comment a bit more on h&wb (wider than PE) and put in a section for target setting, but would love to see examples of what others are doing so that I know we are not merely changing the headers and footers.

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Sorry to sound like a grumpy old woman, but after 30 years teaching
    is what CfE seems to be about......oh, and writing on the <strike>black</strike> white board what my lesson outlines, experiences, plans, whatever you want to call them are - just more duplication when my school should be saving on writing implements, and having to attend countless pointless meetings to be patronised by QIOs et al who try to tell us that the Doctors, Dentists, Lawyers of tomorrow have to be confident individuals, happy learners, responsible citizens and all the rest, never mind the knowledge they need to actually practise - the 4 capacities are much more important than spending time on any details - that's what will get them into uni (which is worrying AND true)

9. I'm attempting a more 'active learning/learning through play' approach to my P1/2 classroom practise. The younger children seem more relaxed in the classroom but the P2s are appearing to regress as they are so used to doing work under supervision. This will of course take time to iron out. How to teach P1/2 to be more responsible for their learning and sticking with the 'game' that I have asked them to play as an unsupervised group without me needing to redirect them. ... It'll come to me. There was a point to this..
    Ahh yes, I had a great idea of getting them to record their achievements using the shared camera, then printing and displaying to encourage them. Limited batteries, no ink in printers!
    Our dramatic budget cuts are not supporting the implementation of CFE.

10. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Though, apparently, this educational aspiration doesn't seem to apply to teachers - strange that.

11. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Or perhaps they are telling you that they don't want to spend so much time at school playing 'games' and value direct input from the class teacher.
    Children need direction, as do most adults. They are also more confident and secure when they have structure and routine.
    These important educational issues seem to have been largely overlooked within the philososphy, and methodology, of a CfE.
    Children need, and want, to be taught as do most adults who are serious about their learning and they love the confidence that comes with being able to demonstrate new skills.
    Of course, that's not to say they don't also have to be trained to work independently so that the class teacher can get on with teaching groups and individuals.
    Using a sensible balance of experiential learning and more formal teaching methods is, in my view, in the best interest children and young people.

12. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Exactly! and that's been happening without CfE for years (as increasingly improving exam results show)