1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Implementation of DoE’s recruitment and retention plan

Discussion in 'Education news' started by mymintpark, Feb 3, 2019.

1. mymintpark

mymintpark New commenter

Does anyone know how quickly this kind of thing is being implemented? The gov paper gives 2020/21 as start for ECF but no start date for reduced/reformed bursaries.
    Where can I find out? Union? MP? Some DoE helpline?
    I’m about to hand in my notice and apply for PGCE and will be relying on bursary for survival, so shifting goal posts at this stage would be very bad news.
    Any advice?

SomethingWicked likes this.
  2. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Don't rely on anything the DFE says when making plans about your career / life. They issue these meaningless soundbites all the time to make it look like they give a damn.
    On the plus side, if you actually want to become a teacher (don't, run, now) then you can almost certainly do so. There is an ongoing catastrophe in recruitment and retention, and any warm body who does not have a criminal record will be accepted.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The cynic in me says that anything that the Government has said about handing out large amounts of no-strings money usually doesn't happen unless you run a ferry company with no ships or an optimistic sounding MAT.
    If the new plans are implemented, it's unlikely to happen as soon as next year. I'd be inclined to apply for the PGCE and get the up to date information from the provider and only resign from my job once accepted.
    Things might be about to change for the better, but the Government is going to be devoting most of its energy to the ongoing Brexit business for at least 5 years so will not be doing much about the T&C of teacher employment.

4. mymintpark

mymintpark New commenter

Thanks both, reassurance then that I can go ahead with ruining my life it’s good to see that there’s still humour in the face of what appears to be an utterly maltreated profession

-Maximilian- and agathamorse like this.
  5. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I don't think they were joking.

6. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Given that you seem to have a fairly good idea of how bad teaching is at the moment what are your reasons for going into it? I'm just curious - wondering if you have a job cleaning out sewage works or something?

agathamorse likes this.