1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Imperial Leather soap

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Now I was just wondering why this soap has this name. Was it used by people in the far flung reaches of the Empire? Did they have leathery skins? Why does it have that silly label on it that gets all mashed up in the water? I buy it for general use because otherwise my best soaps (Roger et Gallet and Crabtree and Evelyn) get used by others who don't appreciate them. I don't like soap substitutes like bath gels and liquids that get squeezed from bottles. I just thought I'd share this with you.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Now I was just wondering why this soap has this name. Was it used by people in the far flung reaches of the Empire? Did they have leathery skins? Why does it have that silly label on it that gets all mashed up in the water? I buy it for general use because otherwise my best soaps (Roger et Gallet and Crabtree and Evelyn) get used by others who don't appreciate them. I don't like soap substitutes like bath gels and liquids that get squeezed from bottles. I just thought I'd share this with you.

3. Simon - Bermuda.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I agree. I like bubbles in a bath but it's got to be a proper soap for me to feel really clean.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Is Simon Bermuda a person? Does he use this soap?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

When I was a girl I though Imperial Leather and Pears soap were the poshest of posh soaps and I aspired to be rich and elegant enough to always have them in my bathroom/s.
    No idea why they're named as they are...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ooh yes. I have spent many hours gazing at my navel through a bar of Pear's transparent.

8. I thought that too! We only used such soaps as a kid when we went on holiday, maybe that is why I thought they were posh soaps. Usually we used a soap called 'zest' when we were at home. Just wondering now why mum bought the 'posher' soap when we went on holiday anyway!?

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used Imperial Leather soap once in the shower and the lather got into a little nook in my gentleman's area, didn't half sting, not used it since.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I use liquid soap these days, nutella - my bars of soap kept drying out and cracking or turning into slime balls, liquid soap doesn't do that. I buy it to suit the colour scheme of the room it's in!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Perhaps you didn't wash frequently enough!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

OMG. I nearly peed myself watching that. But a good job it wasn't Joanna Lumley, as you must know what an aversion I've got to her.

13. I love Imperial Leather deodorant..the red topped one. It's got a great smell...(It may be intended for men but I think it has a fresh clean smell. ) I hate sweet, sickly smelling underarm deodorants. Some are vile...
    As for soap...I used to always buy myself a bar of that herbal thing...piney, ferny, foresty...famous for the bath soak...What's it called. it was a few steps up from Radox? That used to smell gorgeous and it was my special soap..but then it changed completely..the lovely scent was taken out and I don't like it now. Fenjal..that's the one.
    I must admit, I hate the sliminess of bar soap and the mess it leaves in the soap dish, so I am a liquid pump action person now, and my soap has to not only smell nice but moisturise too. I don't like harsh soap that leaves the hands feeling very dry after use. I also hate the way bars of soap crack and dark lines form...ugh.
    No idea why Imperial Leather has to have that paper badge stuck on it...I don't mind the smell of that though...(Mum always bought Lifebuoy when we were children....nasty!)
    I tend to nick those little soaps they leave in hotels now...so they are in my toilet bag for travelling purposes..or when we go self-catering. There has to be soap by the sinks and I am not going to buy big containers of the stuff for a week away. That's the only time I use bars of soap now. I have lots of smelly gift soaps in my knickers drawer...

14. No, I didn'tknow that! I want to be her.

15. Fenjal is fab. I noticed I have a couple of bottles in the cabinet this morning.I also have IL talc. I have liquid soap in the kitchen but proper soap elsewhere. I only use shower gel etc for best.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Surely not! Gawd, she's well ugly and she's barking.

17. I used to think she was pretty but I have gone off her now.

18. I remember Imp Leather. The smell. Quite nice - good for men I think.
    I use L'occitane, or gels. And I currently have a yen for body butters.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Blimey! You rich?