1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Impact on future career?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by WeeMcBeastie, Mar 28, 2012.

1. WeeMcBeastie

WeeMcBeastie New commenter

Hi, I don't wish to sound harsh but in the current job climate you will be lucky to get anything other than supply work. Most heads are well aware of the how tough it is to get a job at the moment so it shouldn't be an issue for you. The other issue to consider is that the availability of supply work varies depending whether you are primary or secondary and in different areas. For example, I am primary in South Wales and I generally get 5 days a week, there are others who have been lucky to get a few days since September! It would probably be useful to research the possible areas you will be moving to.

2. Thankyou for your advice!

3. IMO schools love it if you have had experience teaching across the key stages and in different schools before getting a job. You can take the best ideas in terms of lessons, organisation, behaviour management, rewards, sanctions and resources and then use these when you land your dream job. Its also great to see things that haven't worked plus as you are not tied down by all the admin involved in being on contract or permanent you can browse TES and elsewhere to get some fantastic resources and teach the kind of lessons most permanent members of staff can't due to the enormous pressure they are under to produce results and 'raise standards'. I also do primary and find it to be plentiful in my area.

Good luck and enjoy your freedom