1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Impact on 9-1 to teaching profession

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Elfrune, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Elfrune

Elfrune New commenter

I am attending a meeting on something dear to my heart soon - teacher recruitment and retention. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether the new 9-1 curriculum we have now had the joy of experiencing has had any impact on mathematics (and maybe English) current teacher morale - is there any who have actually left the profession or become more depressed at the thoughts of our students facing these new style papers (seems to be all boards have ramped up the difficulty)? Also - are now a lot less choosing to study mathematics A level in schools (our students have dwindled in numbers significantly and we have had to accept grade 6's on to the course to even be able to run mathematics A level).

I remain fearful with less mathematicians studying A level for the teachers of the future!

2. Chazette

Chazette New commenter

We had to accept GCSE grade C on to our A level course before, so the new change in difficulty is almost to our benefit - its harder to get that 5!

Noone I know who has left teaching this year did it because of the new exam specifically - more that the workload in teaching generally was too much and impossible to have a healthy work/life balance.

3. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

The new exam has caused a lot of increased workload in our faculty (English). New schemes of work for year 10 and 11. New schemes of work for ks3 to prepare students for the skills they will need at ks4. New mark schemes for assessment. Longer and more detailed marking. More triangulation meetings to discuss why students are not meeting their targets grades. Target grades that were inflated - traditionally we had 65% get c or above (most students above target grades). Suddenly 50% of students have a target grade of 6!

All this has led to lower morale amongst staff. No one has left though - we all still have mortgages to pay.