1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Impact of mobile technologies on emergent writing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ljhenchy, Mar 21, 2016.

1. ljhenchy

ljhenchy New commenter

I am looking at impact of mobile technologies on emergent writing for my final year dissertation and I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to fill in a quick survey for me to support my research. Thanks in advance.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JL8FCX6

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm not qualified to answer these questions anymore but I wouldn't describe it as a "quick" survey. i get rather irritated by people using this Personal forum for this purpose. Of course, the OP is using initiative but, it isn't the right place imo.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I must say that I have to agree with you @lindenlea
    It sounds a little churlish to do so but, dammit, you're not wrong.

aspensquiver_2 and lindenlea like this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I feel a little churlish today - don't know why.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That's more of an essay request! It's not a small ask at all.

Agree about the constant posting of similar things, I suspect supervisors are telling people to put it on here to get a load of teachers to respond. It's not as if anything of significance comes of these things.

wanet likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Try Primary.

7. Flere-Imsaho

And there is existing research on this.

aspensquiver_2 and sabrinakat like this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I wonder if people post to NHS fora surveying doctors' views on the impact to health of not eating.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I clicked it, realised it involved writing not just a tick box and closed it... too busy.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I don't know what "emergent writing" is.

11. Vince_Ulam

Learning to write. Think emergent bicycling.

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Hardly 'research' when it involves a survey. The OP needs to look at objective studies, etc.

wanet likes this.
  13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Why not use English then? Anyway I'm into "emergent retiring" at the moment.

lindenlea and sabrinakat like this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

Insufficiently arcane. ITT is full of this stuff because if students realise that their tutors know no more than they then they might then realise that they're paying good money for old rope.

15. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Replied but you need to post this on early years.

16. Vince_Ulam

They did.

17. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I always fill out student's surveys.
    This issue was in my mind yesterday. The future is typing, really it is. And why do we make children labour at hand writing in say - year 6 - no one else does this - it is all electronic. And why do we make children labour at writing without giving them those soothing endless sessions of hand writing practice that gave us the fluency we had - they always have to be composing brilliant stuff with correct punctuation. We did lots of copy writing from the board and lots of drill too. This is what "pace" has brought to us. A driven education system where there is no time for the consolidation of mechanical skills and muscle development.
    I don't remember composing much content in writing until quite late in primary education. We push too much on young children.

jubilee, Flere-Imsaho and InkyP like this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's a term used in Early years - it's not a new one, we were certainly using the expression in the early 80s when I trained and I don't think it was new then.

19. Flere-Imsaho

Because god forbid we actually teach anything these days - it has to be actively discovered and "emerge" all on its own.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's not really what it means. It's comparing a child's early efforts at 'writing' (scribble, if you like) to their early efforts at speaking (babble). You don't just leave it at that, when a baby babbles you talk to it, ascribe meaning to the noises and expand on it so it learns to speak. Similarly with writing, it doesn't mean you don't teach anything. It's a useful term in Early Years when you're dealing with the very beginning of literacy.

Kartoshka likes this.