1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Impact of a striking headteacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Waterfin, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I've read online that NAHT is to ballot its members with regards to striking and I'm just wondering what the impact will be on a school where the headteacher goes on strike? How does the guidance that others should not cover for a striking member of staff actually work if it is the HT? Is the dept classified as covering if the HT is off?

2. I've read online that NAHT is to ballot its members with regards to striking and I'm just wondering what the impact will be on a school where the headteacher goes on strike? How does the guidance that others should not cover for a striking member of staff actually work if it is the HT? Is the dept classified as covering if the HT is off?

3. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I've been thinking about this recently, especailly with the other planned strikes.

My deputy and I are in the same union, so we would both be on strike! Therefore, someone else would have to be nominated to cover for us.

However, union guidance is that the work of striking colleague should not be covered by non striking, so therefore I'm assuming the school would need to shut completely.

Unless of course my deputy decides not to strike, in which case the school could still open as she would be fulfilling her usual role of deputising in my absence!

Interestingly, our NAHT rep said he didn't think that we would be able to strike as the union membership hadn't been cleaned up in a long time. If you recall, the reason BA successfully challenged the planned striles there for a while was because ballot papers had been sent to members who were no longer employed in the jobs or sent to the worng addresses. The NAHT rep said as the union was only small the cost/time needed to clean up membership restricted its opportunity to take industrial action! So, we'll have to see.

4. Your NAHT rep is mistaken.
    There was no issue with the membership list when the ballot to boycott SATs was taken. Your rep was clearly not at the National Exec meeting on Friday when the unanimous decision to ballot for industrial action was taken - I was. There is no issue with the membership list.
    If a DHT chooses not to strike when a HT does, he / she should not cover for them. In fact, NAHT members striking on their own would clearly have little impact on the smooth running of their schools. What would have much more impact would be coordinated action wiith other teacher unions.
    Remember, the decision is to ballot for action, not yet to actually take action. The ballot is likely to be in the Autumn when the governments decsion on TPS is known in all its detail.

5. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

If the deputy is not covering in my absence, then who is "in charge" so to speak? Who would make the decision if a child needed to be excluded, or take the ofsted phone call or any other of the situations that could arise?

6. So, is a deputy deputising for a striking head...
    a) covering for a striking member of staff
    b) fullfilling their normal duties
    c) some grey area in between?

7. Should we expect most teachers to be on strike on 30th June but not NAHT?

8. SMT forum useful on striking etiquette and/ or possibilities.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Since a DHT's normal duties include covering for the HT, as per e DHT's professional responsibilities in STPCD, I'd have thought that DHT must cover if HT strikes. If both strike though no-one else can be required to cover so presumably the school would have to close for the day.

10. R13

R13 New commenter

No
    NASUWT represent over 40% of teachers and are not striking - so when the press say the strike wasn't that well supported you'll all know why.
    The teaching Unions coudn't jointly organise a proverbial in a brewery, and until they can they weaken our actions everytime

11. That is slightly misleading.
    NASUWT and NAHT and ASCL have not yet balloted for strike action. Their stand point is to wait until the governments proposals are finalised and public, later this term. Only then can a sensible decision to strike or take oother action be made.
    NAHT have decided to ballot for action, but not until the autumn term.
    There may well be joint action next term.

12. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

I'm not sure anyone would notice if our head was on strike...actually I'm not sure when I last saw him!

(I'm sure this would be true for many secondary schools)

13. Would we be better off with just one taeching union? These massive problems and issues that have been created by some going on strike and others not in my view, negates what we need to be achieving. We all need to act and speak and one voice or Mr Gove et al with 'divide and conqueor' which surely is what we need to avoid.