1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Immune conditions, stress and weather

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bmackender, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone else on here suffered with any immune related issues and had any handy hints for me?
    I suffer from psoriasis and have done for around 15 years (since I was a teenager). It never really bothered me that much (I always had a patch behind my ear that never went away and sometimes would creep into my ears if I was really run down), but recently it's started flaring up along the backs of my thighs and in the crease of my knee; I've also suffered from some soreness in my hip and knee joints.
    Does anyone have any helpful hints that they use to help them minimise any flare ups - I am a bit run down but have recently tried to reduce stress (resigned my TLR, overhauled how I approach work) and tried to stop the constant change in temperature (cold outside, hot inside) from affecting me by keeping warm.
    Anything is appreciated! x

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I can empathise though I have no real advice, different symptoms but similar triggers here where histamine levels rocket, I haven't found a cure just hope for peaceful times without flair ups and mechanisms to try to deal with them, temp, pressure, stress and some food are triggers it's draining but I'm pleased to still be here so try to muddle through.

3. Bmackender

Bmackender New commenter

What food triggers do you have? I've never thought much about the effect of food on it!

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I am a big believer in food based solutions to many ailments-we really are what we eat.
    I heard that for psoriasis a low histamine diet is recommended, and I heard this from a friend who has instigated such a diet for herself, which involves, amongst other things, cutting out citrus fruit and eating lots of sweet potatoes.
    Psoriasis is also reported to flair up on consumption of milk products, amongst other things.
    I guess it's a question of self awareness and monitoring...we're all different.

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

As Skrobson says but I've also tried MEWS (eliminating milk, egg, wheat and soy) ... It makes things a bit more tolerable but stress and weather overrides this... It is slightly better than when all triggers are in place though... It's a daily struggle.

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have a cousin who is on a no histamine diet for severe migraines. I hadn't heard of it before she started (and it was quite difficult when she visited for a week last summer...) but it seems to help her. I don't know if it would help your condition, @Bmackender but it might? You could give it a try.

7. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

If you are having sore knee joints I'd make sure that you aren't starting psoriatic arthritis . The " run down " feeling might be a sign of internal inflammation affecting your joints .
    I have RA and when in a flare I feel run down and it's a sign my makrkers are rising.
    I'd be careful about cutting this and that out with food and so forth without checking with your GP first . A balanced diet is good and unless you are known to have proven intolerances or allergies I'd tread with caution .
    Well done on trying to make sure that your stress levels and work routines are check . It's easy to drive ourselves when stressed thus adding to our problems .

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Try using Calendula cream on the patches where you have flare-ups.

9. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I thought about arthritis too. Taking fish oils as an anti-inflammatory can help, EPA+DHA. If the joint pain continues I'd go to your GP.

10. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

I have a couple of immune-system related conditions, and I'm on the Access to Work scene, meaning I work for days but get paid for five. Less stress, less fatigue. Less absence, too, and it costs school nothing, so it's a win-win.

11. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

You have a message .