1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Immigration Solution

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

There appears to be a divide between people who want the UK to accept migrants and those who don't want them here. I'm referring here specifically to the bogus asylum-seeker migrants who have no particular shortage skills, such as medicine, and who will need looking after in every way - housing, health, food, money, etc.

I think I have a solution.

One of the main reasons people object to the number of such migrants because they put an obvious strain on the country's resources. This is particularly annoying as many of our own are in need of help, yet are being overlooked.

What if, those who want migrants here sponsored them? By this, I mean provided housing, food, education fees, health service fees - all of it. I would have no objection to that. Obviously they would have to be able to afford it, and prove they can, as you would for a bank loan, but as so many are middle class, they could probably afford it.

Of course, there would need to be safeguards in place to stop people playing the system, saying they can, and then simply pulling out and leaving the burden to the government, but in theory it would work, wouldn't it? If you want it, use your own money.

Just a thought.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What if they did, and then denied you the use of the NHS or care home facilities because you're such a cheapskate, you didn't want those people here to help keep those things going? Who are you going to whinge to then?

How about when you need a plumber or a builder, Mr Cul-de-Sac, with the begonias that next door's cat poops on, and you can't get one for love nor money, because those who didn't object to migrant workers always get first dibs on their skills? What will your Daily Mail have to say about that?

You'd be looking a right idiot down your street when your meanness meant you couldn't get a job done, wouldn't you? I think it's a great idea, by the way, since it seems it's likely to be the only way your sort will ever begin to respect others and reconsider how ill-thought through your position has been.

If I were you, I'd start writing a letter about it to the Daily Mail.

Here's a starter to get you going:

Dear Sir,

I appalled that my neighbour has been able to have an extension built on his bungalow, but when I tried to get them to one for me, they refused because I hadn't subscribed to the Help a Migrant campaign. Well, they didn't actually refuse, but they quoted me ten times the amount my neighbour paid and I refused to pay it, which in my mind, amounts to the same thing.

It's a disgrace. They've even come back and replaced my neighbour's soffits and guttering before responding to my request to meet them half way on their pricing.

What is the world coming to? Has the money I was able to put aside for my pension thanks to Tory tax cuts meant nothing? Did the money I paid to get my children through university instead of learning to do something useful amounted to zilch?

Both my son and daughter won Masters degrees, respectively in stacking supermarket shelves and hairdressing and even they can't get one of these migrant workers to unblock a sink. What is the world coming to?

Last week, my son had a puncture on the motorway. He called Cheapskate Automobile Services, but when the migrant worker turned up and asked if he could show him his Help the Migrants card and he didn't have one, he just left him there. It was three days left stranded on the motorway and he would still be there if a traveler family hadn't towed him off the motorway and took his car for scrap in return for their services. My partner kept compelling me to rescue him, but out of principle, I refused. I will not have foreigners dictate to me how my life should be led.

I fear for what has happened to Britain. We need far fewer of these migrants doing the jobs that our own should get the chance of doing. Why aren't our own working class getting their hands dirty anymore? Since all schools became academies and everyone gets a degree, I can't fault the service I've been getting at MacDonalds, but surely there should be a way we are able to get rid of these horrible migrants and the people who sponsor them so we can bring sanity back to the UK.

Yours sincerely,

Old Joe Soap. (Mrs) (formerly Mr)

mandylifeboats likes this.
  3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

DOY - you okay, buddy?

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm fine, Sabrina, thank you. Just exploring where satire might go.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Well, it's past the usual 3 am dailyfail feed......so we might be safe tonight. Check out the cat 'story' over on another thread, somebody's been creative...:eek:

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is exactly how it is already for non EU citizens wanting to come here. They are also forced to pay hundreds of pounds 'deposit' to the NHS, whether they will use it or not. (Spouse visa from outside EU)

Why there is more pressure on you to be a 'refugee' as you then miss all of that and do not pay a dime.

7. Sebastianandfriends

Sebastianandfriends Occasional commenter

Have you been staying up just to make sure?

Vladimir likes this.
  8. Sebastianandfriends

How do you envisage that could be possible?

Vladimir likes this.
  9. Sebastianandfriends

As there is for us in their countries.

Vladimir likes this.
  10. Sebastianandfriends

The vast majority of the minority who want them do not want to be responsible to the extent you suggest. They would much rather the taxpayer in the form of the state meet the burden. They want to maintain their own standard of living without any decline in it. In other words, they want to be seen to care as long as there is no cost to them. There's a word for people like that.

Vladimir likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A solution to a non-problem...

Lebanon, population 4.4 million... Syrian refugee population... 1-1.5 million. They have a 'problem' ... we have people with overactive imaginations.

Stop being hysterical.

sabrinakat and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  12. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

You're forgetting, Vlad seems to live in an alternate universe where there's no conflicts, or victimisation in sub-Saharan Africa, where Iraqis have no reason to want to migrate and where everyone he sees on the streets that isn't white with a crystal glass BBC accent must have just got out of the back of a lorry.

13. Burndenpark

Riddle me this:

After the Eastern European states joined the EU in 2004 only a very few countries didn't put restrictions on the numbers who could migrate to them from the new member states.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_enlargement_of_the_European_Union#Free_movement_issues
    Generally those few countries who didn't have restrictions out performed those who did.
    e.g.
    [​IMG]

How do you reconcile this fact with your claims in the OP?

14. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

You (pl.) make no case whatsoever!

15. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

There's a word for other types of people too. There's always a word.

16. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

The word "solution"... I felt sure Vladimir was going to suggest [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We hear this argument a lot, "the NHS could not manage without migrant workers" what exactly are they saying?
    1. We ( successive governments) have neglected to train the right number of people to fill these shortage posts
    2. We (successive governments) have orchestrated an NHS system whereby people feel they must leave and work elsewhere
    3. We (management and successive governments) just want the cheap labour from abroad to keep costs down
    4. We want to use foreign workers to push wages down further than we could if we just employed British trained workers
    5. and so on.......
    It is this tory government that is behaving irresponsibly and 37% of the voters have OK'd that!

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

This is the key bit that the "open doors" people have ignored. Just curious as to why?

Vladimir likes this.
  19. Burndenpark

Because he's basically said

There's a massive problem (at least I gather he sees any immigration in that light) and I have a solution to a very small part of it

20. Burndenpark

Awwww bless- all those complicated numbers and facts too much for you?

sabrinakat likes this.