1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Immigration advisors

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by daisy1603, Dec 4, 2019 at 6:02 PM.

1. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

Just wondering if using the services of immigration advisors is worth the money? I am moving to New Zealand and need to do my visa application.
    Price just seems incredibly steep to be filling in my forms for me although their contacts to get it done as a priority would be helpful...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

There is little to no corruption in New Zealand and any immigration service that charges will not get anything done by government agencies as a priority. When lodged with the correct government department it will take as long as it takes. Almost got taken in by a similar service years ago when applying for Canadian permanent residence. Decided not to go with them and their 'lawyers" and they went bust a few weeks later. There were plenty of these companies when we lived in Oz and they were, at best, seen as not needed and at worst a scam.

Save money. Read up on the process and do it yourself.

daisy1603 and sabrinakat like this.
  3. ed717

ed717 New commenter

As the person above has already said, you'll save a lot of money if you research thoroughly and do it yourself. I haven't personally used an immigration advisor, but my partner (who is Sri Lankan) has, and he was ripped off beyond belief.
    For example, an Indian e-visa usually costs 25 dollars. He was charged 150 through this 'advisor company'...
    My advice is, get the information you need to know from them over the phone, then do the process yourself.

daisy1603 likes this.