1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

immature class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by fudgesweets, Nov 18, 2011.

1. fudgesweets

fudgesweets New commenter

I teach a sixth form class who have not been like any other I have ever taught. They will listen to me when I am teaching but as soon as they should be working they just....well where do i start:
    -wind each other up
    -try to be funny when in fact they are annoying
    -focus less on the task and chat ALL the time
    -they genuinly think they will get the top grade despite me telling them that they wont due to the poor attitude
    -throw paper and foul language which I have reprimanded them over
    etc etc]
    I normally treat sixth form as adults because they act like it, but this unpleasant bunch are very childish and immature.
    I am at my wits end with them and think this may be my fault/doing. I also feel it is completely unfair to the one very nice quiet and hardworking child to be in an environment like this.
    I have reported this back to my seniors but nothing has happened. I actually go home feeling stressed and unable to get a goodnights sleep because I am thinking of the disastrous lessons I am having with them. The next morning I cannot focus enough due to the lack of sleep.
    This is a job I love and I enjoy teaching all my other classes very much. What do I do?

2. I would speak to them as a class about this. I would also call in the main ringleaders for an individual interview, pointing out that next time they will be given 2 formal warnings and then asked to leave the lesson.
    Perhaps you could set up written activities as 'exam questions' (to be done in silence) and other tasks with short time restrictions and specific ways in which each person needs to feed back to the group, to maintain focus.
    A few graded practice exams will show them what level they are at.

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

This is a common problem- I should know, I fell into it myself. The thing is, when they get into sixth form, the temptation is to see them as young adults and treat them accordingly. Well, you should, but there;s another side to the story; they;re also kids.
    A few weeks previously, they were probably wearing school uniform and passing notes. To suddenly add freedom and adult respect to kids like that is a potent, heady potion for some, many of whom can't handle it. Treat them a little bit less like adults, and a bit more like school pupils, and you'll get the right pitch. And detentions- why not? Why not?
    Good luck
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.

4. As others have said it is tempting to treat them as adults but at the start of Year 12, some just aren't ready for that level of responsibility yet. I treat them as they require. For example I have one student in a class who is extremely immature and I have to baby him - checking up on him regularly, reminding him of 'rules' often, and sending him out/to work elsewhere when he can't behave. The rest of the class are perfectly able to behave as adults and require absoluately no 'management' in terms of behaviour.
    I have another class who would behave as you have described if given an inch, however I keep them focused with constant reminders of expectations as soon as they start to get off-task, so that they are straight back on. They do respond to this, but I know if I didn't do it they'd get very little done. It helps to have quite a tight teaching schedule as you can remind them how important it is to get it right, as you have less time to teach a Sixth Form module than they are used to having for GCSE.