1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

imaginative group names

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tia_maria, Aug 23, 2007.

1. For the past two years the four groups in my reception class have been called red, blue, green and yellow and I'm bored of it! I want a change! Any great alternative ideas for group names?

2. For the past two years the four groups in my reception class have been called red, blue, green and yellow and I'm bored of it! I want a change! Any great alternative ideas for group names?

3. Are you doing a topic such as minibeasts? name each group after a minibeast or people who help us name after firefighters ect

4. I have decided to use shape names for my groups: circles, triangles, squares and pentagons.

5. people who help us - thats an interesting one.

I like the idea of minibeasts - maybe bee, caterpillar, ladybird and butterfly/moth? I don't think there are any negative connotations there.

I also like the idea of shapes, especially as many last year kept forgetting their names at least it would help them to remember one shape name, lol!

6. I always have it linked to our theme, this term it will be the dragons, wizards and unicorns.
    Christmas was my favourite, sprouts, turkeys, mince pies, nuts!

The kids love coming back to see which group they are in .

7. Hi

I know this post is old now, but I thought I would reply anyway - whilst on placement I worked with a class, and the class teacher had given all the groups 'positive' names like 'Superstars', 'Top Dogs', 'Wizards'. It worked really well - and is an idea I've shamelessly copied for my own class!

nats30 - I love the idea of changing the group name each term to match your topic! I may need to copy that idea as well!

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I used to change group names every term, using names related to our topic eg lambs, chicks etc for New Life. But for the last couple of years, I haven't put my children into groups (apart from for phonics when we set across the year group), and I much prefer it like that. I wouldn't go back to working with groups again.

9. We don't any more either, its funny how things change! We have key groups now but that is across the unit