1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Image Manipulation Packages for ART (KS2 and 3)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by bingocheater, Mar 14, 2011.

1. I have been asked to look into Image manipulation software for KS2/3, we use Photoshop, Elements and Fireworks. I am worried all may be a little advanced for the pupils.

Does anyone have suggestions for alternative image manipulation software.

The Primary use of the software is to manipulate the pupils art work.

Thanks in advance

2. Try looking at Paint.Net.
    It is open sourse (so you do not need to pay for it), easy to deploy on a network (so your IT techs will like it) and can be as simple or advanced as you want it to be. Various plug ins are available to add new features as required.

3. Photoshop and Fireworks CAN be advanced, but it depends on what you're doing with it. It's certainly suitable for KS3 as we use it from the very start. Ultimately you'll be demonstrating tools and techniques to the students, so you can simply avoid the complex stuff and stick to simple things.

Demonstrating a range of tools is a good thing as it breeds students that are confident picking up a new piece of software and running with it - so for that reason Paint.net is a perfectly good suggestion, as are GIMP and Inkscape (the only really decent package I've seen for vector graphics).

4. You might want to look at Xara Photo and Graphic designer...
    http://www.xara.com/uk/products/designer/
    We use the previous version called Xara Xtreme 5.
    Single copies are expensive at £69 a copy but they offer a really good educational bulk discount...
    http://www.xara.com/uk/education/
    It really is the mutts nuts when it comes to vector editing. It also has a pretty good Flash animation module and an interesting template based web creation module, all built into the basic software.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Didn't Xara begin life on the Acorn platform and they then chased the £££s and changed platform?