1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

image and ethos in WJEC ICT AS unit 2

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Joh Hughes, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Can anyone help me to clarify the difference between image and ethos? To me there is a substantial cross over and merging. The specification talks of image and / ethos and the training Ppt does not distinguish clearly between the 2. I am teaching this shortly and would appreciate guidance from someone who has experience with the WJEC

thank you

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer that question. I asked at the WJEC meeting in London last year "what do you mean by ethos?" and the feedback at the time I interpreted as what I would call house style, you know fonts, colours, layout etc....
    So we sent off some work early last year for a pre moderation (with house style) and it came back with comments about not having any ethos. I still don't understand what they mean by this though and will be asking the question again this October. However all I tell my kids to do now is to pick 3 words that you want to be associated with your company / organisation such as "professional" "value for money" "reliable" "safety" and try and somehow explain why the styles/ colours will represent these terms. It got us through moderation this summer without a hiccup, but I would wager it's becasue the moderator probably does not have a clue what ethos means either and just thought "sod it that will do".

3. I agree, it's such a nebulous area that I usually give at least 1 mark if they have tried to relate the house style to the philosophy of the organisation, so I usually recommend doing a larger organisation as this will be more apparent than for a smaller local business. I mainly aim on getting the majority of the marks on the practical sections where it is really clear what marks can be awarded for.

4. It depends which task you are looking at:
    Task 1 - what image of the company are you trying to portray? For example for a theme park, I will use images of people laughing and smiling to show that the theme park is a fun place to visit, I will also include a water image in the background to show the fact that theme park has the biggest water coaster in Europe. Overall I want to protray the theme park as a fun and exciting place to visit, I will mainly use the font ........... as this font has a welcoming and friendly feel.
    Task 2 - looking for the word "professional" to be included in the image/ethos. For example, the layout and language of the letter will show the company to be well run and professional. The recipient of the letter will be able to instantly see who the letter is from as the logo will be in the top right hand corner and there will be a border around the page in the company's main colour.
    Task 3 - No image/ethos required