1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm thinking of having my hair dyed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What colour should I go for? It's pepper and salt at the moment but I have seen someone with a wonderful shade of plummy purply pink. I am concerned though that it would look funny when it grows out a bit. Any advice?

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It would look a bit funny when it grows out so you'd probably have to have your roots done regularly.
    I like the sound of the colour though :)

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Do you think that would be very expensive? Could I do it myself?

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

If you can buy the dye then yes, I don't see why not. There are some instructional videos on YouTube to show you how. It'd cost you much less to do it yourself than at the hairdressers.

Lascarina and sabrinakat like this.
  5. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Have you thought of henna? I used Lush henna for about 8 years until I decided to go gracefully gray. I liked it because it did not make my scalp sting as regular hair dye did. As well, I did not notice a line of demarcation when it was growing out as with dye. I used to leave it in for 3 hours, so it takes longer than dye but I felt it was worth the extra time. Dye penetrates the hair shaft, but henna coats it, so I found my hair to be thicker when I was using henna. This video shows chestnut brown, but the rouge colour might give you the plummy colour you are interested in.

Lascarina likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I dyed my hair for years but the problem is that you end up having to keep it up because growing out salter and pepper roots is awful. You can't just dye back to your nature colour and let it grow because your natural colour is two different tones. That means hair dye every 4-6 weeks if you want to keep your roots perfect. I can't be bothered any more!

Lascarina likes this.
  7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Go Mrs Slocombe.

aspensquiver_2 and Lascarina like this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Speak to a hairdresser about it and perhaps get them to do it first time. it is quite pricey for them to do it every time. it would need doing about every 5/6 weeks. i have done my own for the last few years and still don't do it right every time :(.I think you can still get colour rinses that wash out after a few washes - the chemist might be able to advise about that. i go for a dark blonde which means as the roots grow through they don't show so badly. A very dark shade means the white roots will really show (remember Ann Widdicombe before she went all white)

Lascarina and coffeekid like this.
  9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Lascarine - honestly, I wouldn't. Not the first time. Why don't you go for a no-obligation consultation? Pop into a salon and ask to speak to their colourist. Colouring your hair (in my opinion) is riskier as you get older. When I was in my twenties I'd shove whatever colour I liked on my head and it was always fine, but I remember the HORROR of looking at a photograph of myself a couple of years ago, where my hair looked mustard coloured next to my pink cheeks. I'd dyed it especially for that occasion, from a box, like I'd been doing for years with no problem. Ooft. Never again.
    Red Quilt's right about the youtube videos - there are loads and some of them are really good. But if you're new to this, then I wouldn't risk it. Hair is so visible, and it's impossible to disguise a bad dye-job.

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I would do it, but not do it yourself. Perhaps forego your L'Occitane toiletries every now and then, to pay for a colourist.

I agree completely with @coffeekid. I could colour my hair at home when younger, but realised it was a no no when it was tangerine and I had to go to the hairdresser to sort it out anyway.

Mind you, a good cut makes the difference in my view.

Lascarina and coffeekid like this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Thank you so much everyone for all your advice. I am going to think about it for a few days and then decide. I feel I need a change. I shall have to consult my grandboys before I do anything as I wouldn't want them to be shocked if I turned up in Sydney in 5 weeks with a head like a beetroot.

aspensquiver_2, kibosh and Noja like this.
  13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Has getting the colour to compliment your skin tone been mentioned?

Lara mfl 05 and Lascarina like this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You could try plum coloured highlights which would be less obvious as they grew out if you hated them. i don't know much about these things though.

cissy3, aspensquiver_2 and Lascarina like this.
  15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I always wanted pink hair. I've managed black, blonde, red, green, and various streaks before settling with my natural brown to give a "professional" look as a teacher. Got rid of my lip piercing too. How I'd love to have a job where I could have bizarre hair colours again!

ValentinoRossi, kibosh and Lascarina like this.
  16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I can just hear the colour saying, "Oh, Lasca, I do love the colour of your skin!";)

aspensquiver_2, kibosh and coffeekid like this.
  17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

In my last school the DT had piercings and hair dyed different shades of white and yellow. No one batted an eyelid.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The hair/skin tone being complementary is so important though (see my pink cheeks/mustard yellow comment)
    Speak to a colourist. :- )

Lascarina and kibosh like this.
  19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think bizarre colours would be so much more difficult to maintain.

aspensquiver_2 and kibosh like this.
  20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Whaddya mean, bizarre? You calling me bizarre?:p

aspensquiver_2 and coffeekid like this.