1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm suspicious...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by SineField, Mar 14, 2020.

1. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

When a supply agency signs up with a school, they must obviously explain how their fee structure works. In my mind the most likely possibility is:

1) A flat fee added applied to any normal daily supply.

Surely the agency doesn't just say to the school, "Sorry I'm not going to tell you how our fees are calculated."

So with that being the case a school must surely be able to in theory figure out roughly what a supply teacher on daily rate earns?

Do you think supply agencies who operate an umbrella or PAYE system explain to the schools that they operate this way? In particular with umbrella set ups and long term bookings, this might cause schools to think that candidates were being greedy in their demands, when in reality they were completely unaware that the candidate was having to foot the bill for both employer and employee NI?

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I imagine that the schools take the same attitude that 'normal' people take when given the option of buying a very cheap T-shirt. ie) Don't think about the sweatshops that produced this, just look at the bargain. I can afford to be sanctimonious here as Mrs C doesn't trust me to buy my own clothes!

On a wider note:
    Don't try to apply morality to the world of supply! ...........No just don't.
    It'll just get you down.

3. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I know that I'm suspicious about why agencies can't seem to pay their supply teachers on time.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

When I signed up with a new agency my first question was how much is daily supply going to cost me and if I take someone on a longer term basis then how much would the rate be reduced by.

I know it sounds mercenary but I was not interested in what the agency paid the teacher or how it was done. Why would I be?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The agency that I worked for paid me on time every time regardless of whether they had been paid by the school.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I don't understand why long term should be a reduced rate. It's more work in terms of planning, marking and other duties. Also, there's the 12 week pay to scale rule....

BetterNow likes this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Some agencies expect supply teachers to accept a lower daily rate for long term work, even though it involves marking, etc., in return for a more regular income! This is treating supply teachers as bulk buy items.:confused:

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Speaking from the school’s point of view it is a guaranteed booking for the agency so we expected a reduction in the daily rate. The teacher was given PPA time just like any other permanent teacher and we paid extra for parent evenings etc.

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.
  9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I predict a shortage of long term Supply Teachers ... Even with a higher rate of pay the extra work isn't worth it...but if less pay for more work catches on ...you'd have to be mad.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Search for work at other places or agencies....
    I have been told of schools I could go to which have a cap on daily supply. Never been to one.

BetterNow and BertieBassett2 like this.
  11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

When I did long-term supply I was not paid extra for parent eves-didn't expect it, though I did get the same frees as other staff. The downside is I wouldn't have got long-term sick/maternity pay if either had applied (they didn't!). But that was some time ago, before any decent school would have let non-qualified staff teach, so I was paid £200 per day. I don't know what the agency got (some things never change).

12. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

The issue is that the rate you get quoted for a supply role (either daily or long term) may well incorporate an amount just to cover the teachers additional outlay from having to be in an umbrella set up. If you were not aware of how the agency operates, that figure could well be perceived as "greedy" by yourself and cause you not to take the teacher on..... when in reality that is not the case.

13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

To be honest when I started out as a supply teacher and read the threads on here about umbrella companies that was the first that I had ever heard of the term. As I said before I never enquired how much the teacher was receiving as I paid the agency a daily rate. What was agreed between the agency and the teacher was none of my business.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I find that unpleasant that a school would have to think that way.
    As much as it is a guaranteed booking for the agency, it is also guaranteed continuity for the school, the kids, the subject area, as opposed to a different random who carries no sense of investment in what they are doing every day, which is the other option. Are you seriously saying that as a school leader you would have paid more for such a situation?? That baffles me.
    Much as I get the need to barter on a shcool budget shoe string, It still pains me that you would see things in terms how you are benefitting the agency rather than how the long term teacher is benefitting the school.

I have always avoided working on that basis. There are schools out there who take it as a given that long term agency staff are worth more, irrespective of how much the agency cream off the top which as you rightly say, is not the school's business.

Obviously the OP has not encountered this sort of scenario, but then, if you don't put your foot down then no, you wont.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  15. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

I’m only with 2 agencies. I get cs rates with one and teacher rates with the other, but I have to say I haven’t had any issues with pay yet and been with both about a year

JohnJCazorla and Jesmond12 like this.
  16. APTSJ

APTSJ New commenter

I don't know which agencies you are referring to but I can honestly say that the ones I have done long term for have typically given me more when I've asked for it on a long term stint.

17. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

you got £200 a day??? Most agencies at that time 15 years ago only paid me £125 a day so I don't know how you got £200.the agency would have had to ask more than 200 a day to make a profit. U sure you got that much?