1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm sure a few years ago there were 1000+ jobs advertised in the TES

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ian60, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Maybe not this soon after Xmas and NYE, but I am sure there used to be pages and pages of vacancies.
    Have agencies such as Search Assoc. made such an impact that newspaper ads are just rather passe?
    Or are there just not so many jobs around these days?

(Should those of us in secure jobs be keeping our heads down?)

2. Search has the market stitched up. It's the cattle markets and online files plus references that make the difference. CIS is also struggling to have any relevance. TES is trying with their Hirewire...

3. yasf

yasf Established commenter

It would help the TES if they hadn't upped their prices and ruined their jobs page.

4. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Oh yes - a right shambles

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

It's the time of year to remind anyone who'll listen that the recruiting event is a game of 90 minutes, and at this stage the crowd have hardly settled into their seats.
    Some schools can legally oblige teachers to make their intentions clear by Christmas - or can even just inform those whose faces don't fit, that their contracts won't be renewed.
    We can do neither, and are obliged to take the field deep into the second half, too late for Search and other fairs - but we never fail to 'score', sometimes well into extra time.
    There exists a misconception that the best jobs will all have gone by early March - not so.
    Similarly some recruiters fret that the later you come in, the fewer good candidates there will be. This is also untrue. I have some further unutterably dull things to say on this score, which can be saved for later.
    We explore all avenues, but will, as ever, place expensive advertisements in these pages both printed and online. We love the dear old TES too much to turn our backs on her just because she's gone and bought herself some ill-matched clothes and a horrible hairdo.
    That's the advice I've been reading here, from wiser heads than mine.
    Most of our inmates appear to be planning to cower inside the barbed-wire fence this year rather than risking an escape bid. Apart from one fella who is returning to the UK because he's caught up in one of those 'relationship' things that youngsters still have.
    For one thing, the UK sounds desperately unpromising at the moment, even for those expats who try to maintain a balanced rather than disdainful view of the fatherland.
    And on the other hand, how alluring do the 'overseas' locations seem, just now? Wherever one looks, there seems to be economic recession, or political unrest, or unscrupulous management... or if you are really lucky, all three.
    So perhaps, whether you're toiling away at Nempnett Thrubwell Comp. and longing for sunnier climes and teachable kids, or conversely enduring the Ruritanian government's highwayman snatch at your Christmas salary while dreaming of Sunday lunch at the pub with the old folks, you will, just for now, and with a long melancholy sigh, stay exactly where you are.

6. Hey world.Yeah Iwas hoping that there would be allot more jobs around this time. I have been informed that anyinternational school that advertises after the Easter holidays is not worth looking at. I hope lots more jobs come up in the New Year. But in a world that is becoming extremely competitive I think it will be allot harder to secure jobs than before.
    Good luck in the search.

7. I know our school in the ME has stopped using TES except for leadership posts. I think the rationale was cost and poor response. We only use agencies now and the candidates comi through are very good. Suspect it means the Head spends a lot less time having to filter candidates. Interesting that we do not use search, but mainly UK agencies.

8. That's bull. Early recruitment is just one small indicators amongst many. I was actually approached by two legendary bad schools (one in Kuwait and one in Pakistan) as early as October for the following September. Why did they contact me so early? Well, precisely because they are famously bad or unstable and know they will struggle to recruit.
    On the other hand, if I have correctly guess which school SMTDude works at, it has a pretty good reputation and I am pretty sure they don't have too much trouble recruiting quality teachers, even if they advertise later than most schools.

9. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Thank you, Alexander - and even if your guess is incorrect or our reputation undeserved, colliwollie 21 has indeed been misinformed, possibly to his or her detriment if s/he decides to abandon hope in March.
    Further explanation must be postponed, for here is my eight o'clock appointment arriving right on time.
    As soon as she has been dispatched in tears and Year 13 have been reduced to the same state by boredom in period one, we will see if there is time for more ranting before the weekend and its cultural, gastronomic, sporting and family pleasures.

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

But my primary and secondary heads and I actually enjoy the process of filtering candidates. And we are much better at it than the agency staff.
    More later - you have been warned.

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

More than bull.
    What happens if a school suddenly loses a member of staff due to family reasons or death during March or later?
    What happens when a potential member of staff, having accepted a position, informs the school during early June that they have split up with their partner and are going through a divorce and have to stay where they are?
    These and many other events have happened in schools that I have worked in. At this stage the school has no choice but to recruit at a time when it does not really want to.
    And if you think the schools are bad at that time of the year, what do you think of the teachers who have not managed to gain a position anywhere by then, even when they teach maths or physics?

12. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

try www.is-jobs.com, my recent discovery. Lots of schools advertise here.

13. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Exactly.
    So we end up putting out a desperate advert in early June, and evidently we are spared the attentions of idiots like those who misinformed colliewollie - better off without 'em, no doubt.
    Others, however, will be able to read a website and do further research and end up realising that the school isn't necessarily a cesspit just because it advertises during the cricket season.
    Then at interview the following dialogue might take place, as between two honest and rational beings:
    VICTIM: Mr Dude, I hope you don't mind my asking why you are seeking to fill this post at this late stage?
    DUDE: Certainly not. Our excellent long-serving Mathematician Mr Karvol won the EuroMillions lottery just after the IB exams, and handed in his resignation with immediate effect in order to dedicate himself full time to his extra-curricular interests in Thailand and Brazil. May I ask, in turn, if you have been applying for many overseas jobs and why you are still available at this balmy time of year?
    VICTIM: Why, of course. I'm happy and respected at Nempnett Thrubwell Comprehensive, but for some years now I have been interested in teaching in Ruritania and at your school in particular, so when I saw your ad I went straight to my Head and said, " I realise it is late in the school year, but I shall be applying for this job I've seen, and she was like, "only craap schools advertise in June and you'll never get a job back in the UK..."

14. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Clearly there are (is?) allot of aspects to this recruitment business. Let us be thank full for those filters.

15. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

We don't often see eye to eye. But in this case I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head.

16. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

No, but happy New Year to you, and I wish you all the best for the future.

17. Posts like this keep my hope alive. What hope you say? The hope that SMT dudes actually enjoy reading and filtering through individual applications instead of trying to fit everybody and everything under the sun into a "one size fits all" form.

18. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Good to see you back, Don Francisco. You were never a 'one size fits all' kind of poster.
    I have to admit that, like the Dude, I enjoyed reading the applications, both the strong ones and the 'spot the loony' variety. One of my favourites cited as his referee a certain (and of course unreachable) Inspector Bongowongo of the Malawian Police.