1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm starting to think is it really worth it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by looby21, Apr 4, 2012.

1. looby21

looby21 New commenter

Hi all,

having one of those days where I'm feeling pretty low. Having a tough time at school at the moment and due to the environment I'm in and lack of support, it's making me consider if this is really what I want to continue to do for the rest of my life.

I'm in my first 10 years of teaching and have tried to get another job, but haven't been successful. The thing is I'm not a quitter and one part of me tells me to plough through it, but the other part of me realises how miserable I really am and how I've lost that drive and motivation.

I love working with the children and having an impact on their lives, don't know what else I can see myself doing?????

Not really sure why I posted on here, just needed to let it out and hoping maybe there's someone else feeling the same as me? Maybe someone can offer me some advice.

Thanks for listening :)

2. looby21

looby21 New commenter

Hi all,

having one of those days where I'm feeling pretty low. Having a tough time at school at the moment and due to the environment I'm in and lack of support, it's making me consider if this is really what I want to continue to do for the rest of my life.

I'm in my first 10 years of teaching and have tried to get another job, but haven't been successful. The thing is I'm not a quitter and one part of me tells me to plough through it, but the other part of me realises how miserable I really am and how I've lost that drive and motivation.

I love working with the children and having an impact on their lives, don't know what else I can see myself doing?????

Not really sure why I posted on here, just needed to let it out and hoping maybe there's someone else feeling the same as me? Maybe someone can offer me some advice.

Thanks for listening :)

3. I am not sure of your age...late twenties, early thirties?
    Look at the bit I've quoted....it IS for the rest of your life...perhaps 30 or more working years.
    I can say with hindsight that I wish I'd changed courses earlier on...but like so many I became stuck because of life circumstances and all the bills I had to pay.
    If you need an escape route you need to find it soon and be prepared to downsize. It's not really a good time to be job-seeking though....Have you thought about re-training?
    You have to bite the bullet or stay miserable...(and in this climate I honestly don't see 'changing schools' as the answer. They all seem like dire places to work...the pressures remain the same.)

4. You may be at a pivotal moment in your life. Enjoying work where you are now may not be possible, but have you considered moving to a more academic school, where the students will be more amenable, which is bound to improve your mood? In the short term, see your doctor, who should be able to help. If you really want to change career direction, then it may not be too late. Use the present holiday to take stock of your situation, but don't try to stick it out in your present workplace if it is very aggravating and damaging to your health.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think many teachers start off thinking they will change the world (in a small way) and have an idelistic view of what they will do.
    There are no prizes for being a martyr however, and schools vary an awful lot. I agree that the OP should at least look elsewhere before throwing the towel in for good and don't make any rash decisions that you could take years to recover from.

6. If you are going to get through this you need to put schoolwork to the back of your mind in the holidays. Worry about it when you are there.
    Yes I would agree, not all schools/situations in school are the same. Sometimes it's the people you work with who can make life difficult ??

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I couldn't agree more! x

8. looby21

looby21 New commenter

Definitely think that is having a big impact at the moment. Gonna forget about it and enjoy easter hols.

Thanks for all the advice, nice to know that we all have our 'moments'.

Next year will be better - positive thinking and all that jazz!!

9. In my early 30s I was HoD in a wonderful, academically strong school in a beautiful part of the country. My room looked out over fantastic countryside; my colleagues were supportive and dynamic.90% of pupils were keen or amenable - it is the only time in 40y of teaching that someone brought me an apple! I had a lovely wife and 4 young children and we lived in a pleasant house with friends around us.
    But I was unhappy. Nothing tangible, just a feeling of being "wasted".
    A college friend came for Sunday dinner and offered me a post in his division of a multi-national company. I had to undergo a formal interview but it was a foregone conclusion - he even told me how much salary to "ask" for. Suddenly I felt wanted and valued.
    I returned to school next week, revitalised. Suddenly the sky was blue and the world was a better place. I still read the TES job pages and spotted 2 positions which really interested me. I "foolishly" applied for them, got interviews and accepted one. Then I had to make an awkward phonecall to a guy who no longer talks to me. [​IMG]
    I wish you well: making good use of this break is a starting point.