1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm so excited! Fair dinkum!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by frodo_magic, Oct 30, 2020.

1. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Established commenter

In the 1960s, the ITU – the International Telecom Union - allocated international dialling codes to different countries. In the old days of mechanical telephone exchanges, it took less time to dial a one than a nine. The more important countries therefore got the lower international codes and the less important ones got higher numbers. That's why America and Canada got the international dialling code +1, European countries begin with +3 and +4 and poor 'ol Uzbekistan got +998.

And Australia? Well they got +61!!

If any Remainers or indeed Corbinners, are still too depressed over BREXIT, they could simply leave this side of the world for the other. Just dial +61 and book an Australian hotel, or stay with an Aussie relative.

alex_teccy likes this.
  2. frodo_magic

Oh, and if you want to have a chat with the Pope about God, The Meaning of Life (the film) or BREXIT, the Vatican City's dialling code is +39.

3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Britain got +44, obviously a lower ranking country than the Vatican State

nizebaby likes this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Why don't you stop crowing, frodo, and remember that people are having a really tough time at the moment?

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  5. frodo_magic

Anyone can easily de-crow themselves from this outstandingly good series of BREXIT-related trivia. Top right, click your avatar and then add me to your Ignore list. I will stop injecting fun and joy into the hearts of the masses in 60 (long) days time. Is everyone enjoying the magic?

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

No they're not, as you well know. l

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

and if you report this post it'll out you as a malicious and conniving troll.

8. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I find these posts most useful. They remind me each morning of why I voted the way I did in the Brexit referendum.

nizebaby likes this.
  9. frodo_magic

On the other hand, if you want an Ayatollah or two to chat to rather than the Pope, then Iran's code is a rather embarrassing +98.

10. frodo_magic

I'm really looking forward to the Big Six Oh tomorrow. Should be dark, something of the night!

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Shows how much the US (number 1) valued its loyal ally (number 98), The Shah of Iran.

12. frodo_magic

13. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Lead commenter

It’s hard to say which is worst - malice, nastiness or stupidity.

14. WB

WB Star commenter

You must be amazing at pub quizzes.

15. frodo_magic

I have my moments. Are you any good at pub quizzes?

16. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

Do you moments happen daily?

17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Frodo has the research team at Conservative HQ providing these facts for him and the other interns.

WB likes this.
  18. WB

WB Star commenter

I was hoping researching for a pub quiz team might prove time consuming...