1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm so Eighties!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I knew they were good, but didn't realise just how good back then,,,

cissy3 and Spiritwalkerness like this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The Smiths??

Aww, c'mon!!

Duke of York likes this.
  3. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Ditto to both - however I have subsequently seen The Pixies far more than The Stone Roses (well, you can only give Ian Brown so many chances - however, I say the same about Mark E Smith :D )

And same thoughts about The Smiths - I just didn't quite get them at the time, even though everything was right - took me about 10 years to appreciate them

Scintillant likes this.
  4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Didn't know that. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between bands. I think it was the BBC that did a series of progs on the genealogy of the various groups a few years ago.

Wonder what use Lemmy had for the knife as a roadie?

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If it was part of your life, you have to live with it, girl, like you have to do with every other miserable part of your life.

There's parts of the 80s I wished never happened, then found myself grateful they did.. Same with every decade I lived through.

It's rarely perfect, but you have the choice of making the most of what you have and seizing the opportunities when they arise..

If you miss the bus, another will come along later.

How many of you teachers know what happened to the kids you taught who were chucked on the scrap heap when it came to achieving university grades?

How many billionaires or even millionaires do we have who left school without a qualification to see them through life, and how many are churned out, that cling onto them like life rings?

I put it to you that there are more than enough unqualified rich people. Probably far more than than those who trusted that qualifications would be the route to wealth and happiness.

Where do you stand on the scale of wealth and happiness with your qualifications? Did it work for you?

6. Spiritwalkerness

Oh but MSB - there were still little nuggets to enjoy

Mangleworzle and emilystrange like this.
  7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Me too! Plus Heaven17 (I can't stand that fascist groove thang etc) I wanted to work some Human League into Kibosh's'' pick seven tracks'' thread.

@RedQuilt I love electronica too. I was doing my pgce when Tubeway Army/Numan first had hits. (Another one I wanted to include)

Love 808 state 'Pacific state' too. I couldn't believe that was 80s, 'til I checked :D Ahead of its time?

Some great tracks on this thread! Will come back at some point to contribute no doubt!

ETA The Smiths blew me away from the get go (well, on TOTP with 'This Charming Man') and I rushed out to buy album.

Spiritwalkerness and RedQuilt like this.
  8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Uncanny, I was just about to search for PiL

10. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Great minds etc :)
    I wasn't totally 'into' PiL but think the collaboration between Lydon and Jah Wobble worked really well.

Spiritwalkerness and cissy3 like this.
  11. Spiritwalkerness

I'll say this quietly....I really don't 'do' Joy Division...

emilystrange, cissy3 and RedQuilt like this.
  12. Spiritwalkerness

I have a not so secret crush on Jah Wobble

emilystrange, RedQuilt and cissy3 like this.
  13. Spiritwalkerness

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

You bunked off hockey!!!!!! Dreadful @GLsghost ...

Ahhhh Family.... saw them in Liverpool... circa..... 1970/71 The ex was .... a little the worse for drink... and he had consistently called out between songs " Sing A Song for Me" As he was not so sweetly snoring...... they sang..... "A song for me" !!! He missed it ( I didn't :) )
    My ex sis in law recently travelled down to somewhere in East Anglia for the last ever Family concert..... wish I had been there.....

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm a bit late to this, I went to uni in 1981 it was an eventful decade for me with lots of musical memory connections, here's some favourites that haven't yet appeared:

Guilty pleasure

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I'm sorry but it's all rubbish.
    60s. 70s. Both good.
    After that?

upload_2015-11-12_9-50-24.png

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If I had to pick a decade it would be 70's, I've always thought 60's music was generally over-rated, some real gems but also a lot of pants stuff too. Then again it always seems to relate to your own age, 70's were my teens, 80's were my 20's

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Joy Division not really my thing but I love this

19. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Is Grumpy a "girl" or are you being isist again?

20. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Loved that Maxine dance. And her romance. "Sigh"