1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm pregnant but starting new job in September!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by helen_codling, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

We've just found out I'm 4 weeks pregnant. We really happy about it. My only concern is I start a new teaching job in September and I'm going to have to tell them I'm 14 weeks gone when I start. I know they can't do anything about it but I'm dreading telling the headteacher as I know theres been a few pregnancies at the school recently. I will also only be there for a about 5 months and then I'll be on maternity leave.

I guess I'm just really worried how it will look and having to tell the head is scaring the c**p out of me. I'm going in tomorrow to sort out some stuff and I'm gonna feel so guilty.

Helen

2. Hi everyone,

We've just found out I'm 4 weeks pregnant. We really happy about it. My only concern is I start a new teaching job in September and I'm going to have to tell them I'm 14 weeks gone when I start. I know they can't do anything about it but I'm dreading telling the headteacher as I know theres been a few pregnancies at the school recently. I will also only be there for a about 5 months and then I'll be on maternity leave.

I guess I'm just really worried how it will look and having to tell the head is scaring the c**p out of me. I'm going in tomorrow to sort out some stuff and I'm gonna feel so guilty.

Helen

3. Congratulations! Come and join us in Kirkies!

Pregnancies are something any employer ought to consider when hiring a person in their reproductive years I'm afraid, and if it weren't for us preggers people, who would we all be teaching in 5 years time? ;-)

I was in a similar position. You do not HAVE to tell them until you are 25 weeks pregnant (although you are likely to be showing by then and needing time off for appointments). It is also wise to tell them, as they *should* do a risk assessment for you.

Its tough, but just the way the cookie crumbles. If it wasnt now, it would probably be in a year or so for you anyhow so wont make all that much difference to them in the long run.

You are unlikely to get Mat Pay, but you are probably going to be entitled to Mat Allowance.

Just enjoy this time, and worry about the rest later (if at all!)

SG x

tufftail likes this.
  4. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I too would feel bad about the situation, but there isn't much you can do about it, except be honest. I'm not advocating telling the school now (it is too early really), but as soon as you are back in September, you must tell them.

5. thanks guys

prettyinpink - I know I have to tell them and I will straight away as I hate keeping sectrets, that kind of what my post was about.

Showgirl - thanks for your coment, it made me feel a bit better about it, ta

Helen

6. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

Congrats,
    The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. You will have to bite the bullet and tell them and yes you will feel guilty. I know I felt awful. The head was really pleased for me though, to be honest when employing women, them getting pregnant at some point is something that you might expect.

As showgirl says, "If it wasnt now, it would probably be in a year or so for you anyhow so wont make all that much difference to them in the long run."

She's right about Mat pay too. I was only entitled to Mat allowance as I had not been in that employment for long enough. However, if the school is in same LEA where you work now you might still get full mat pay.

Congrats again :)

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Congratulations.

But don't be surprised if the head doesn't dance with joy at the news.

8. Congratulations - in my school a teacher has just gone off on maternity leave - nothing strange there except she was only doing the job as cover for the original post holder who was off on maternity leave.

Don't worry about it these things happen. Keep in touch with your line manager and let them know after your first scan - you don't have to but it might be a good idea.

9. snowboarder

snowboarder New commenter

P.S.
    Later on they employed a teacher who also got pregnant in between being appointed and starting. So, it's probably more common than you think.

10. I'm aware the head "won't dance for joy", I just don't want it to be awkward thats all. I probably shouldn't have posted this after all.

11. helen - I didn't mean my post in a funny way - I was just agreeing with you that you would need to tell them asap.

12. Congratulations!!!

Probably best to tell them as soon as possible - that way they will have more time to plan. It might even affect which classes they give you.

It's not going to be easy, but you will feel better when it's out in the open.

Good luck!

13. pretty in pink - I know you didn't mean it like that. I guss I'm just a bit sensitive about it. I know its not ideal, I'm well aware of that - in fact I'm worrying about that more than anything else but I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced something similar,not to have people tell me that the head isn't going to very happy - Im not saying you said that, you didn't.

14. Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the fact that you are pregnant and clearly very happy about it for now. There's no point in borrowing trouble.

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

i expect you will be about as popular as a wasp in a jam factory for a few days - but these things pass

let them know in september so that cover can be organised as soon as possible

16. Congratulations.

I was only 5 weeks into a new job when I found out I was pregnant.

Sometimes it happens ;O)

Just let them know straight away in September so they can arrange maternity cover (and do the risk assessment).

Don't let the "awkwardness" of the timing blight your happiness xxx

17. I found out 1st December in my new job that I was 5 weeks pregnant and was bricking it telling my head. she obv.wasn't happy but couldn't say anything bad to me! I am now 34 weeks so luckily should be able to finish the school year out. Just the way the cookie crumbles. I fell pregnant on first time of trying, wasn't expecting it to happen quite so soon.

18. Congratulations!
    It's not like you were deceiving them; if you've only just found out you wouldn't have know at interview, so it's just one of those things. You can't avoid interviews for 20 years just in case you might be pregnant!

In my small school ( 4 teachers) 2 of use became pregnant the year we arrived; same maternity leave dates as well!

Hope everyone puts your mind at rest.

19. angel fish - Thank you. I haven't been deceiving them and I definately wasn't pregnant when I had interview. We have been trying for over a year so I know that I wasn't then. I know it's one of those things. I worked at another school for 5 years and didn't get pregnant, its just unfortunate that now I have, well not unfortunate, just regarding the job. I'm a natural worrier and I've got to try to stop

20. Beleive me, Helen, when you're a parent, the worrying doesn't stop!!!