1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm not one for resolutions but...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jul 13, 2020.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I've vowed to be less curmudgeonly.

EXcept when it comes to scooterists and cyclists on pavements, of course.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

:D:D:D:D
    If you feel like griping then you have a gripe. :)

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I don't think you are curmudgeonly

agathamorse, nizebaby and Jamvic like this.
  4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Aren't you six months early?

5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Nothing wrong with curmudgeons. Keep it up and you could advance to grouch, churl or even malcontent!

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'll be less of a cur but more of a mudgeon.

8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Some of the best posters on here have a tendency to be curmudgeonly and have hearts of gold underneath.

Some are curmudgeonly without the heart of gold of course.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I NEVER do new year's resolutions. Spawn of the devil. I don't do trendy ...uarys either. But this evening I could hear people sitting outside a restaurant over the road and was about to moan about their voices (loud and a bit brash) when I stopped myself and thought instead how happy they sounded to be enjoying some time with friends.

10. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Has the real you been stolen by the fairies and replaced with, um... you? :confused:;)

11. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

That must be it.

12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Thats me told, Missus Grumpybum.;)

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

When it's safe to not give way to zombie joggers I'm never going to give way to them again. Likewise cyclists on non-cycling pavements. Both can discover the simple concept of going rounding people instead of charging them down.

Curmudgeonliness should be free on the National Health.

coffeekid, nizebaby, Dodros and 3 others like this.
  14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It should. Can I add people with dogs who don't control them? And have them on leads stretched across the cycle path? And call then off knowing full well that they've never invested even five minutes in training their dog and there is zero chance of it coming when it's called. Like the horrid couple whose two out of control dogs ran at me when I was on my bike causing me to fall off and break my mudguard, and didn't even stop to ask if I was ok.

15. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I was sent flying once by a dog in the park. I saw it hurtling towards me as I cycled along and I just thought "It will stop". It didn't.
    At least the owner was mortified, concerned enough to turn up on my doorstep later with flowers.

Jamvic likes this.
  16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I went into teacher mode, this week. On the pavement. Grown man slowly cycling towards me, chatting to his friend, cycling beside him on the road. Into oncoming traffic.
    Did he stop? There wasn't enough room for the two of us.
    So, as he passed, I stood still, scowled and raised my arms in despair.

"What was all that about? I heard him say.

Ask me, and I'll b loody well tell you", I thought. In colourful language.

peter12171 likes this.
  17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Why did you only think it?

I'd have shouted "Off the fu*king pavement you stupid f*ucking pillocks!!"

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Because I'm a laydee!

Not.

:D

19. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Do you 'laydees' not know how to escalate a situation?

A car was speeding up my road a few years ago. I happened to have a pole in my hand so held it out into the road. Car came to a halt and a furious driver stepped out. Seemed to think he was in the right to drive at any speed he wanted!

A bit of an argument developed as I pointed out how unsafe it was. He was not happy and started telling me about all the local villains he knew. As if that gave the lad free reign to drive as he liked. I was not impressed and was certainly not backing down.

He got his phone out and rang a local 'gunman' to come and 'sort me out'!

We then waited opposite sides of the street. It was dark yet warm so probably a September evening. Kinda surreal to wait for a 'hit man' to arrive. Not many do I expect.

A car pulled up ... and a lady got out. It was the wife of the 'hit man'. We were having a very pleasant chat on the pavement. The driver must have realised things weren't going according to plan. He suddenly strode across the street and gave me the most grovelling apology I have ever had! He then got in his car never to be seen again.

The villain the driver had rung was Wayne. When he was in jail I had taken his 16 year old son and a friend to some cycle races in Warwick. They came 1st and 2nd in the U18 category of the unicycle race. Nice trophy on the mantelpiece when Wayne was released.

Always keep one step ahead when you are maintaining law and order ... :)

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Ha!