1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm not getting any!

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by kritur, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Your school has an obligation to support your professional development but that does not necessarily mean external courses. I know we have really cut the number of staff going on external courses because of rarely cover and budget cuts. Could your CPD needs be met in school somehow? This might be easier for you to get?

2. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

Few schools can afford to fund attendance at external CPD courses, which involve considerable outlay in terms of traval expenses, course fees and teacher cover.
    CPD may be a right, but it's also a responsibility for the individual teacher. Have you joined a subject association, which will provide you with professional journals and the opportunity, sometimes during school holidays, to attend an annual conference with presentations on subject-specific issues? I belong to both the Association for Language Learning and the National Association for Special Educational Needs. Such national organisations have local associations offering evening and Saturday professional development sessions.
    Have you investigated whether your local education authority or university offers twilight courses, leading, if you are so inclined, to professional qualifications, including higher degrees? Your school may be prepared to contribute half the fees since you are being proactive in your professional development planning.
    If you are really determined to attend a course, why not call the senior management team's bluff by offering to pay for it all yourself, including fees, travel expenses and cover? By making the offer, you are signalling that you believe that the course is indispensable to your needs! When I wasa full-time secondary school teacher, I often paid for courses out of my own pocket and on three occasions I combined summer holiday trips with presentations of my own at educational conferences in Canada, Hungary and Japan. That got me noticed and now that I am retired I am asked regularly to deliver workshops and write articles.

3. laticsbird

laticsbird New commenter

Thanks both of you for your replies. They've given me food for thought. I hadn't actually thought about attending sessions at twilight or even weekends - I'll see if I can find anything suitable.
    However, there is still the matter of little old me being neglected[​IMG]
    Others in the department, and across school, have been on many courses and money is always found for them! And, in our dept, it's always the same people. I seem to be at a 'stagnant stage' at the moment and while everyone else is having their 'needs' met, mine seem to be vastly overlooked. I don't know whether I'm reading too much into this and being too sensitive but I also am always left with many of the 'problem' classes. I wouldn't know what an A*/A/B response looked like if it was thrown at me.
    Am I indeed being too sensitive? And should I be grateful/thankful for my lot and just carry on regardless?[​IMG]

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I have every sympathy for the OP. I've been abroad for 7 years and am a little out of touch with current practice. A colleague suggested I could do with some CPD, as my CV shows I've had nothing in the last 7 years, - obviously not a priority abroad in private schools - but so far my searches reveals little, unless I'm willing to fork out big bucks myself to go to London, stay in London and pay for a seminar.
    We've all attended such things before and you know within minutes as to whether it will help you and the leader is competent. I've wasted days at some where it is clear the material being presented is at the wrong level for me and I'm on the wrong course. As such, paying out the best part of £200 for uncertainty to fill a void on a CV is difficult to justify.