1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm no Grinch, says headteacher who 'rationalised' Christmas

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Dec 21, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

He's not the only head to do something similar - why is this news?

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

scrooge_2425689k.jpg

Happy school memories to be sacrificed on the alter of Head Teachers fear of OFSTED. Poor students!

cissy3 likes this.
  4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

How does taking part in a Christmas presentation not contribute to self-confidence, teamwork, creativity, memory, art, music, RE and drama? Surely any Head worth their salt could make this cross-curricular and include all sorts of academic subjects into the process.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I agree absolutely, but it does take ages to rehearse & organise, especially if trying to involve every child. In many primary schools, the timetable is disrupted for at least 3 weeks, in order to give every group opportunity to practise in the hall, for example.

What may have exacerbated things this year is that Y6 are facing a new test regime on the new curriculum, which they have not had sufficient time to cover. Any time taken from the grind of maths & English could be seen as time lost, despite all the many positive benefits putting on a Christmas performance brings.

cissy3 likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had learning walks on the afternoon of the second to last day - we loved it !

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Bah - humbug!

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I visited more than one primary school that was already devoting time to Christmas before October half term. Some schools desperately need to "rationalise" the time they're devoting to it.

aspensquiver and FrankWolley like this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes he is a Grinch and so are Ofsted.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

My grand daughter's school in the leafy shires has also not had Christmas nativity plays. This is a great disappointment to me but I fully understand why the school has stepped back from it. Nowadays, any teaching activity which does not provide ticks for tick lists is simply unacceptable. There is far too much name, blame and shame ready to be dished out otherwise.

The really daft thing is that something like a school play does so much for the children that could be included in the tick targets if one of the bean counters could get off of their behinds to figure it out.

But they haven't -- and that is the bottom line for teaching nowadays isn't it,

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

At the start of the story/film the Grinch has the right attitude towards Christmas, IMHO.