1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm no classicist but I've spent half term re-reading the Annals of Tacitus and Suetonius's Twelve Caesars and was enthralled.

Discussion in 'Classics' started by inky, Oct 30, 2010.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

The thread title says it all.
    I intend to read passages to my primary school junior children after half term. They love a good story.

2. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Flipping heck! Be careful. It's often x-rated. Or is this a wind-up?
    You'll have to be rather selective. For example if you tell them about Boudicca, how can you tell juniors about the rape and the flogging? If you tell them about the murder of Agrippina, you'll have to miss out the imputation of incest. If you tell them about the mysterious death of Germanicus, will you also deal with his infamous son Caligula? (BTW Cal was only 7 at the time of his dad's death, but you never know.)
    Myself I'd stick to Greek and Roman myths with that age group. Though I have to say teenagers love stories from Tacitus and Suetonius!

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh Lemoni, we were taught about Boudicca and her daughters when I was at primary school. The rape bit was left out but the whipping and humiliation wasn't. So yes, of course I'd be selective.
    This forum is a bit slow, don't you think?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've come to the sad concluision that classical literature is more fun than clasicists.

5. Haha no not at all - the literature is as pointed out fun, but believe me, look hard and you will see lots of normal fun classicists around (where the one's not stuck in a library but are rather down the pub laughing about Bradd Pitt playing the mighty Achilles and dispatching a larger man with a simple hop skip and jump, and how Dianne Kruger (much to debate) is allegidly not worthy of ten ships let alone 1,000!
    I fear you may not have met those that studied at Roehampton as of yet....

6. lemoni122

lemoni122 New commenter

Are you drawing conclusions from the slow input to this forum? What with giving our all to our families and our classes, there's not a lot of time over for internet browsing, inky. Believe me, we're a laugh a minute, when we've got the time....

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Worthy alert! Worthy alert!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Classics at Roehampton! Surely you jest.

9. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

otototototoi popoi da!