1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

**********.... I'm mortified!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Tinkalink, Nov 12, 2008.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I reallylike the stuff from SB and the phonic resourcesfor L&S are briliant. I do agree though that it is used too frequently in classrooms.

2. I've been told by the deputy head of my school that the person that owns the ********** website "does not act in the best interests of children if you know what I mean" and that is why it has been banned in our LA, is this true, I don't know. I know I'm pretty useless at making resources, especially ones that look so professional so I wish they would just sort out if any allegations have been made and make it clear to everyone so we can all make up our own minds and not have to gossip.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't think we should gossip on line. Therehave been a lot of posts on this thread [ I'm not referring to the latest ones] that have been ill-concealed pleas for tittle-tattle. Knowing what is happening won't have any effect on our efforts to make our classrooms interesting and cheerful.
    As an old dinosaur, I sometimes wish that today's younger teachers had to spend a week in the age of bandas and blackboards. More sophisticated resources don't necessarily mean better lessons.
    Not that I don't appreciate what's on offer today - before I'm dismissed as a creaking old Luddite!

4. As an old dinosaur, I sometimes wish that today's younger teachers had to spend a week in the age of bandas and blackboards. More sophisticated resources don't necessarily mean better lessons.

II have to agree. all these websites are very helpful and can be great time savers but there does seem to be an awful lot of people asking for other peoples copies of planning. While this can help new teachers i do feel sometimes that it can stop some people being imaginative about their planning etc.. I suppose whatever works in this day and age and whatever lets you have more spare time. How did people cope before the internet, god only knows!!

5. Oh That didn't come out right. What happened to Inky's quote???

6. Inky I think you may be referring to me about the tittle tattle thing and I can assure you that it is not true. I am genuinely concerned, especially as my LEA seems to be oblivious to any whispers and is expressly encouraging SB resources.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yorkshire and Humberside gfl have issued a statement online saying that ********** is opperating illegally and they have decided to block the site and if teachers continue to access the site it may be a breach of acceptable use policies for use of school computers.

8. The Hgfl link (ref the above) is http://www.hgfl.org/index.cfm?s=1&m=1&p=7,view_item&start=1&date=year&kw=&id=5261
    Scroll to the bottom of that page and click on (view the item) in the blue bar for background.

9. ********** has just been banned all across our borough. We have heard a few different reasons.

10. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

11. The link from the previous post gives the same reason for the ban as my county. It's strange how many counties have given different reasons.

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think many counties not directly involved were reluctant to give the full story until the case was concluded.

13. See the following article https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6033403.

Could try pencilstreet.com instead

14. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

15. Hope it goes and never comes back.To walk into a classroom full of A4 laminated computer printed ********** is very depressing. It is so quick and easy to write your own and children should see our handwriting on the wall. We have no right to ask children to write neatly if we cannot do it ourselves. Children should be writing their own banners. Individual children decorate a letter each and they will really know what is on the wall. They will show their parents as they come in in the morning. Who on earth needs for example a firework banner when children from a very young age can draw a firework. At the start of a topic children can write labels.They should have their work up on the wall. Displays should be changed often and should be meaningful and stimulating.
    I won't even start on the idea that anyone could continue to use it now we know what we know. BUT if anyone has used all that ink and laminating pouches not to mention about a week of their life they might as well not throw it away. The only reason I would like to be a head would be so I could ban it from my school.

********** contributes nothing to a creative inspiring classroom. Hope it never comes back.