1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm Living The Dream.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by AlexanderBrandy, Feb 10, 2011.

1. There has been recently a spate of threads about people having a bad time in schools or countries abroad. I felt it could be a nice change to share my experience to show that teaching overseas can, in fact, be pretty amazing.

Like many people I originally worked in a so called 'international school' that was really little more than a shoddy business led by a bunch of mentally unstable pompous blowhards. All the horror stories you've heard about working abroad I have experienced and then some. But eventually I managed to leave this hole and got where I am today.

The school I work in is not first tier. It would probably be generous to call it second tier. But professionally it still is miles better than anything I have experienced before, whether abroad or in the UK. I work with lovely students, got most of the resources I need, and can usually order what I don't already have. The workload is fairly light, the hours very nice (I finish teaching at noon three times a week) and maintaining a healthy life/work balance is easy. It is pure luck, but even the management is good. They have high expectations of the staff, but we are given the means to meet them, and they are genuinely open about suggestions.

Outside of work, the country I live in is your typical third world country I guess. It's messy, stinks and anything takes ages to get done. Just going out to do your grocery shopping is an adventure But I love it! The people are warm, laid back, genuinely surprised that you are interested in the local culture. The food is amazing and getting an excellent meal rarely costs more than three pounds. The salary I'm getting (although much lower than in other local international schools) allows me to go out often, and travel in the neighbouring countries (two in the past month, and a third one coming up soon).

I don't know if my experience of teaching overseas is common or not. But at least, I can say that it does happen. Sometimes the grass actually is greener on the other side.

2. Goodo - and well done.
    Nothing wrong with a nice story, I suppose.
    If someone was to post on here and ask about your school you would be able to tell them about your good experience. But there are shister schools out there with even 'shistier' shister mamnagement and these threads help to advise people to leave well alone. There have been cases of people about to accept a job and then after looking on these threads have declined the post. Whoopppeee, and I would love to be able to tell the Head of that school that I was instrumental in that happening.
    You sound a cheery sort AlexB, but I am English and therefore an innately, perpetual pessimist.
    And it's great.

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Your OP was indeed refreshing as you intended it to be, Alexander, and well-written as a bonus,.
    While I recognised, of course, in your second paragraph, our own establishment, the ineffable Anglo-American International School of Ruritania, I'm left guessing which down-at-heel but cheerful nation hosts your new, idyllic workplace.
    Let's have a go... ...Nigeria?

4. Is that you, Dude?
    [​IMG]
    If the OP is in Nigeria and having a great time, I can only imagine the 'mentally unstable' tag belongs to the OP...
    [​IMG]

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

A lot of what constitutes a 'great job' overseas is the perception of the teacher, and the kind of thing which floats their boat.
    I am pleased that you have found somewhere which, for you has proven idyllic.
    Some of what you say, I don't think, would float mine. A messy, stinky 3rd world country would drive me nuts no matter how quirky it was.
    The school sounds good though, if saving big chunks of money isn't on your agenda.
    I quite fancy a bit of midday finish, not too big a workload, nice students and a good management team.
    I find myself telling people I like my job - great kids, excellent salary, great parents, great work colleagues but there are days when aspects of it drive me bonkers with a vengeance.

6. stopwatch

Oh dear, just read that I have mentioned 'going nuts' and 'going bonkers'. Perhaps I am trying to tell myself something [​IMG]

7. Yeah, Stoppers, just drop the 'going' bit..
    [​IMG]

8. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Alex - your story was great to read and I really hope it helps other teachers decide that working abroad is for them. I have to agree with you about the smell of some places - where I live in the ME can be a little "high" to put it mildly especially during the hot summer months!
    I have yet to find a school like this, stopwatch, but we all live in hope!
    :)

9. And I agree that this is what the forum is for, and it's great that there is such an outlet for people to find about some of the terrible schools out there (including the one I worked in). If the forum was just filled with 'Everything Is Great' threads I would stop reading it. But I couldn't remember the last time someone mentioned that generally it is a great experience.
    Impossible. I know my former head likes to
    lurk this forum for any slander towards his beloved s***hole and then
    report them to the mods. I also happen to know his username and it's
    most definitely not 'SMT_Dude'.
    Let's not push it. I said it was a third world country, not Hell on Earth.
    The smell is... unique during the hot months.
    That's the most diplomatic way I can put it. But the worst is during
    monsoon. The town doesn't have a proper sewage system and when it floods
    (which it always does a few times a year), well, I'll just leave to
    your imagination what the place is like...

10. Now come on AlexB, it would be nice if you were to name where you are, but you MUST provide an easy conundrum to tell us, where and the name of, your previous place of work is.
    That's the point of the threads; to provide good news and bad.
    You've only done half the job....

11. stopwatch

Cheers Bud [​IMG]