1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm leaving Foundation!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Juls Radster, Jun 26, 2011.

1. After only 2 years as nursery teacher and foundation co-ord I'm moving back to Key Stage 2. I only work 3 days and found it impossible to fit everything in and co-ordinate the unit and organise flexible hours. I also missed seeing the rest of staff in school and only having 25 mins for lunch (on a good day) Can't wait to sit in assemblies again (x2) and have a morning and afternoon break and an hours break for lunch [​IMG]

2. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

good luck with the move !
    i am in the Nursery (love it !) but take your point about breaks . If i am lucky i get 30mins for lunch after dealing with parents , and phonecalls , no morning or afternoon break. I can accept this and it dosent bother me until ... Friday at the brefing key stage 1 staff moan about having to turn the dvd off they had planned to 'stick on' during 'golden time' whilst they 'did next years planning'!! I see them going in the staff room 15 minsin the morning and afternoon and dead on 12 for the full hour break by 4 oclock it like the marie celest , all gone home apart from me who has just finished washing pots and cleaning round thats before i do any paperwork. i suppose my point is it would nice to be recognised and not 'well your just in the Nurseery you dont have the marking' I dont think they have heard of observations and learning journey foldersetc
    Enjoy your breaks i am not jealous (honestly !! )
    Please pop on here but no gloating !!!
    Have a great summer
    jo x

3. Thanks Jo I will have a great summer now my burrden has been lifted! I will always love foundation as my own girls are 4 and 2 and I love the way they are so eager to learn and are like sponges absorbing information. I didn't talk down to them and quite happily talked about symmetry, life-cycles etc using the correct terms that many of them remembered because they loved learning 'tricky and long words'
    I actually worked out that our nursery works about 4 or 5 hours a week more than KS1 which is not far off a full day a week so totally not fair. My dream class would be Y1 so I could use my EY experience but will quite happily take some marking to get some sanity back in my life. I'm not saying I wouldnt return to foundation in the future but think it does need a revamp of the DM and how we assess children.
    Hope you have a lovely summer too [​IMG]
    Juls x

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Good Luck in your move (I jumped ship 18 months ago after a very long time in reception)

5. I love Reception, but I just can't keep up with the workload. I am always behind, and just don't have time to make or gather all of the resources I need, particularly if they follow the children's interests, as well as tidy up etc etc.... there must be a way to manage it better!

6. I am doing the opposite! I can't wait to move to reception. I taught year 4 for 2 years and I can not wait to be away from the constant marking, getting the poor children to self assess against the objectives and all the targets we have linked to APP from reading, writing, numerac and personal targets!! It is all the kids seem to do!
    Then there is the levels and moving children up 2 or 3! and lastly the ATTITUDE!! it seems in my school the children go through puberty at 8!!
    I was early years trained and i can not wait to get back to small world activities, role play, phonics etc and having small ones who want to learn and still have that awe.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Welcome to the world of EYFS - think APP for everything ...

8. I am Early Years trained but in September, after 3 fab years in FS, I too am off to KS2!
    I have spent many enjoyable hours browsing this forum and will be sorry to say a cyber farewell to you all.... here's hoping there is as much common sense and knowledgeable support on the Primary forum.

9. You've hit the nail on the head Msz, EYFS is like APP for everything. I just crave contact with the rest of school. Think Y1 would be my dream year group, I'm just filling a gap in Y3 as I've taught it before for 5 years. At least I might have a better idea of APP now and how to make my lessons more interactive.