1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I’m leaving before contract ends...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by littlemisssunshine2011, Apr 29, 2019.

1. littlemisssunshine2011

littlemisssunshine2011 New commenter

Hi,

I’ve decided to leave my current teaching after careful consideration and a lot of thinking. I was signed off from the gp before the Easter holidays with severe anxiety and depression and I feel like the best way for me to move forward is to leave teaching. The head is and has been very understanding and supportive and is aware I’m contemplating leaving before contract ends. My question is what do I email/write to him saying all this. I want to say thanks to him and the school for everything, however I am left with no choice but to leave but I don’t know how to formally write this.

Many thanks

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

How about

It is with regret that I feel that I must leave the teaching profession at this time, to ensure my mental well being. I am sorry that I am unable to complete the contract as I originally intended and hope that you will understand my reasons for doing so.

I would like to thank you and the staff for the care and consideration that you have shown me during my time at xxxxxxxxx school. May I wish you all continued success in the future.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Dear HT,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to ask you to release me from my contract forthwith. I have no expectation of being fit to work in a school-setting for the foreseeable future and will be seeking employment elsewhere.

I would like to take this opportunity to think you for your kindness and consideration and realise that my departure leaves you rather in the lurch. As I understand it, you would have to have the decision to release me ratified by the governing body but I do hope you will feel that this is the best way forward for the school. I have thought long and hard about this but feel that, as I no longer have any contribution to make, it is now appropriate to sever the contractual relationship.

With many thanks for your support......

4. littlemisssunshine2011

littlemisssunshine2011 New commenter

Thank you so much. They’re perfect. Appreciate your help.