1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm just so rubbish now!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by legoearth, Dec 8, 2011.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Had a supply in today (unexpected) class were a nigtmare and there was no planning so had no idea what to do with them. Tried a nice arty project that didn't work out so had to look for something more academic. Not having been allowed near 'teacher's shelves' for 18 months I hadn't realised there was not a single resource suitable for the class at short notice (teacher gets everything off internet!) Managed to cobble something together in the end but I looked and felt comletely incompetant. We don't ,these days, know what we are doing until the morning or afternoon it happens! This is a very poor yr5 class with a lot of behavioral issues so leaving the class to ask another teacher is impossible as well as being profesional suicide. Can't really aproach SMT as teacher and they are very close (two years past nqt and family connections in school) HELP! Any tips on how to deal with this? It could happen again and it was awful for staff and children alike.

2. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Had a supply in today (unexpected) class were a nigtmare and there was no planning so had no idea what to do with them. Tried a nice arty project that didn't work out so had to look for something more academic. Not having been allowed near 'teacher's shelves' for 18 months I hadn't realised there was not a single resource suitable for the class at short notice (teacher gets everything off internet!) Managed to cobble something together in the end but I looked and felt comletely incompetant. We don't ,these days, know what we are doing until the morning or afternoon it happens! This is a very poor yr5 class with a lot of behavioral issues so leaving the class to ask another teacher is impossible as well as being profesional suicide. Can't really aproach SMT as teacher and they are very close (two years past nqt and family connections in school) HELP! Any tips on how to deal with this? It could happen again and it was awful for staff and children alike.

3. I'm a bit confused. It sounds like there was a supply teacher in the class that you are the TA for.
    If that's the case, why were you expected to "cobble something together"?
    Or did you mean that you were called in to cover the class at short notice with no planning available?
    Sorry if I'm being dim and not understanding your post.

4. Are you a TA? If so why are you expected to sort out the planning for a supply teacher?
    I am a HLTA but have never been asked to organise planning for supply. Do your teachers not plan a week ahead - why would there be no planning-had the teacher taken it home? Your post seems to imply that this could happen again-why do you think that?
    Our teacher's planning is all on the school server and were there no planning another teacher or SMT or the Head would sort the problem out. You must surely be able to leave the classroom to speak to a senior member of staff.? What would have happened if you had been absent today, needed the loo, been elsewhere?If your class is so badly behaved they cannot be left with a supply teacher for ten minutes that is very worrying.
    Teachers are paid to plan, you are paid to support teachers. Teacher's have expertise that allows them to plan effectively and more importantly they use their PPA time to think about what their learning objectives are for the particular children in their class.
    You did your best under difficult circumstances but you should not feel that you did something wrong or were incompetent. I personally would not have even begun to try and plan on the hoof a days activities without clear guidelines and a specific request from SMT.
    If it happens again I would simply leave the classroom, find a senior teacher, tell them there is no planning for supply and leave them to sort it out.You may have felt pressured into sorting this out but that is not fair on you. The Head at my school wouldn't dream of asking TAs to sort out missing planning, it is a job that is outside of your TA remit.

5. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Yes I am a TA and no, planning is rarely done nor has been for over a year now! If it is we nevr see it and there never seems to be a scheme followed just wait and see! No it doesn't work and today just proved it now i feel drained and rubbish and unprofessional. We (there are a few TAs in this difficult class) have never had a problem covering in the past as we always knew what we were doing and if teacher was off sick never needed a supply at short notice for a day. It's sort of expected that you will be able to direct a supply teacher in the right direction. Had to remove two children but still no sign of SMT in the classroom to see if all was OK, even though one was taken to head's office for the afternoon! I really need a glass of red now but on our rubbish wages I'll save it till Christmas I think! Thanks for the replies, I wasn't very clear was I?

6. Don't beat yoursel up.We all feel it is our responsibilty to 'look' after the class, but its not.
    We had a supply teacher in this week, and by the time I arrived into class, the majority of the boys had, not only changed places, but changed their names as well.
    Our plans are on the server, or have to be emailed to the school office for the supply to work with. Even with them the supply sometimes have to ask us to help.
    The SLT would not think of coming round to see if everything is OK. but if the supply is not known to the school, the TA would be asked how they felt the day went.

7. No planning -that's amazing. How does your school monitor children's learning and progress? Weekly annotated planning is handed in each week (Teacher and TA planning) to be appraised by the Head and SMT.
    So what on earth do you do if yor teacher is off - who teaches Literacy and Numeracy on those days? How do you teach Literacy or Numeracy without planning. Are you HLTA? What happens to the children that you should be supporting when you are teaching?
    At our school TAs are given time each week to meet with the class teacher to go through the next weeks planning and to decide which intervention groups are being taught by the TA. How on earth can you support the children's learning if you don't know what the lesson objective is?

8. Sounds like a hideous set up to me. Teacher has shirked the responsibility of doing what they are paid to do but, in all fairness, this has been allowed to happen by the poor arrangements in place for teacher absence.
    If the arrangement is that the teacher doesn't plan for absence, then what exactly does the supply teacher do for their money in your school if they don't plan?

9. Well done on surviving a very difficult situation, it sounds awful.
    I have cobbled together over *ahem* years a 'File of Desperation', it has sheets of maths puzzles, word games, titles for stories, quizzes and the like. I keep it in the classroom where I work and if a supply is needed at short notice, there is something I can keep the class busy with until something more meaningful is produced. I recommend the strategy, it makes for less panic.

10. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

I am sure going to get me one of these! Never had a need before in all my ''ahem'' years! Think the other day was a wake up to how bad things have really got. Thanks for all the replies they all help! Goodness help us with OFSED due in the new year! lol.

11. Might just help iron out some of the problems so your situation improves.