1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm just an old fashioned girl....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yapyap, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Much mockery has ensued this week when it was revealed that I keep an old fashioned register and markbook (obviously do all the computery ones too!). I just find them much easier to deduce information from and much quicker to work! Tell me I'm not alone!!

2. Of course youre not- I have one, always have done. Make my entire Key Stage have one to hand so if I need to check something with them they can pick it up and have it all to hand- no fiddling with laptops etc. Its just good practice!

3. Thank you sparky, I was mocked horribly, and by an AST no less!!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I find it easier to keep them electronically so everyone can access them without interupting me.

5. Not only do we all have old fashioned registers and markbooks... but none of us have
    'the computery ones too!'

6. Hehe to above - that would seem so odd to me!!
    I do also keep the 'computery ones' Lilac, but I just don't find them as easy to navigate personally as those in my own handwriting!!

7. I don't have a old fashioned register, but I do keep an old fashioned mark book. It's so much easier to quickly look at something, and it means that I don't have to take my school laptop home. Also, if SIMS crashes and data gets wipped, at least I have it all written down.
    I tried to keep electronic ones last year, but having my laptop open whilst marking distracts me and takes up space. I like to spread out when I am marking.

8. Mine is all in the back of my planner, by hand. Occasionally if I want to analyse some data I might type in some stuff into Excel, but the ongoing markbook, in pen, all the way. I can't imagine sitting at the computer while you mark? So much nicer to sit with your planner and mark and enter as you go, surely?

9. Whether by hand or on the computer, I mark first and then enter the marks for the whole class. I don't keep a register but I do keep a markbook because I can shove notes in there about absence and effort on the day that I can't onto an electronic system.

10. Markbook done by hand, in neatest handwriting at the start of the year, barely readable by the end!
    I teach a lot of music and drama and do a lot of assessments walking round. It's just not practical to carry a computer!

11. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I always forget to fill in the computery one and walk round with my markbook in lessons. I fill things is as I see them. I also have it next to me when marking and just tick things off as I go.