1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm in trouble over parents evening mess up!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Georgia99, Feb 23, 2012.

1. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Make sure another member of staff witnesses you check your pigeon hole again to prove it is not there, though with their attitude, I wouldnt put it past them to sneak a copy in so be careful. May be even better to get others to check their pigeon holes, even better if they find it in the wrong hole. I agree with rosie girl, union now. I dont think they will have a leg to stand on though. Good luck. I'm ready to walk today after the day I've had.

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I think I know deep down that they really haven't got a leg to stand on. Wednesday is my non working day and it clearly states I cannot be directed to work on my day off. My union rep said the same when I spoke to him this afternoon and said I really have nothing to worry about. Hope he is right. I just wanted to keep my head down until the end of my time at the school.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Pigeon hole or not, note or not, it is your day off!
    That's it!!

4. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I think I'd be tempted to stick a piece of paper over my p/h stating something like:

'Due to recent events I cannot be certain anything put in here will actually reach me - please give anything important to me in person: I work on.... Thank you'

5. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

hope it goes ok. I finish at 2pm on Thursday's and thursday evenings are parents evenings but school have always made it appear I had no choice but to attend.
    Would be good to know the outcome just so I can tell them no to the next one.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Are parents evenings fairly soon after school? If so, one copromise might be that they pay you for last period on those Thursdays. If they're later (and staff normally go home and come back), I think it's much less clear what the rules are.
    I've had three contracts where I've been teaching for only a couple of hours in the day, quite often not last period. I've always done the parents evenings, but then all three schools were very reasonable: I did relevant parents evenings and department meetings, they didn't fuss about any other meetings, and allowed us to move department meetings to a time I was in. I'm a core subject: if I hadn't done parents' evenings I would probably have needed to do a lot of ringing parents in lieu of parents' evening.

7. I am a bit of a veteran of part time working. I can assure you all that working full time is a lot more pay for relatavely a lot less work.
    Basically - all kinds of managers will make out it is sooo complicated and they're all sure that if you work part time that means that you still need to come in for all the extra duties up to full time and of course they didn't know you still had to have any ppa, and they didn't know there was anything wrong with giving you the same teaching load as a full time member of staff but just squashed into a shorter time. Dream on. They know what they're doing - the regulations are very straightforward. Go to the NUT site and read them. It's plain common sense.
    FIRST Work out how many days you should work and COUNT THEM - neary all of us part timers are not getting our extra time for the extra bank holiday this year. You will find that if you count your days you are almost certainly working an extra day or two every year. Bear this in mind for later.
    The best thing to do - find a full time person who does as close as possible to the part time job you do - then half everything they do (or relative %) That's what you should be doing.

Eg parents evening - HALF (or whatever your % is). If none fall on your days - you owe them one or two. BUT you are already working 2-3 extra days so they owe you time.
    Meetings - HALF of them - if ALL of them fall on your day - do half
    Lessons - HALF of them - PPA - HALF.
    You get the message - is it really that difficult. If you do this you will STILL be over working because you were working 2-3 days extra to start with. IN part time world 2-3 days in a year is actually a full week.
    Schools have a damn nerve - but if part timers lie down and write RUG all over themselves you know what will happen.

8. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Had a meeting today with 2 members of slt and the union rep from the school.
    The union rep quoted the relevant part of the conditions that states part time teachers cannot be directed to work on their day off.
    SLT replied that they are in the wrong, they should not have assumed I would work and I should have been asked. They have blamed the administrator who arranges the parents evening for blatently ignoring the fact that I do not work that day.
    That was it, end of meeting.

9. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Any sign of an apology?