1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm going to try knitting

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mammal, Dec 22, 2010.

1. I've just bought wool and needles to knit a matinee jacket for my grandchild due in January. It's 20 years since I last did any knitting and I'm not sure if I remember what to do. Wish me luck!

2. WHat a nice thing to do. THere are lots of us on here, so lots of help if you need it.

3. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

Have fun!
    :0)

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

This is a great website!
    www.ravelry.com

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Is it your first/ I'll never forget how I felt holding my granddaughter for the first time. I couldn't look up to smile for the camera, just wanted to look at her. Better make it quite big as babies are known to grow faster thasn grandmas knit.

6. Thanks. It starts with cast on 68 stitiches, which I can remember how to do, but then says continue in blackberry stitch. I've never heard of that before. I think that this is going to be challenging somehow!

7. I'm going for the 3 - 6 months size so I'll have plenty of time to finish it. It is actually my 5th grandchild and the 6th is due in April. None of my friends have grandchildren yet, but my three have gone into turns each mode. It is going to be a little girl and is my eldest daughter's second. It is very precious, as she has had 3 miscarriages, one at a late stage since her 1st child was born. I didn't knit for any of the others, as I dthrown my knitting needles out when we moved house and didn't think that they liked knitted garments anymore, but my daughter says otherwise.

8. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YLdWSA6J3c

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I could never get the hang of casting on and off at the right tension.
    Is blackberry stitch the same as moss stitch? That's like rib but out of step, if you get what I mean!

10. Well I've cast on and done two rows. I think I've worked out this blackberry stitch. It's purl a row and then purl 3 together, then knit,purl knit into the next stitch. I've impressed myself so far, but need a rest already. I don't bother checking tension - it might just come out a size larger or smaller.

11. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I never check my tension either mammal, and I think knitting is like riding a bike - once you can do it you never forget. I love knitting, especially baby clothes but I'm not very good at sewing them together.

12. No, I never bother checking my tension either - but I know my style of knitting.
    Welcome to the club - there are quite a few of us around [​IMG]

13. Thanks. I thought I had got it cracked,but first I used the wrong needles and then I went wrong and had to start again. Hopefully third time lucky or else I shall have to go for a larger size at this rate.

14. Are you using the specified wool? If not, you may well need a size smaller or larger needle.
    Don't give up [​IMG]

15. Yes - I bought the pattern, needles and wool at the same time. I just cast on with the wrong set of the two sizes specifie and then I think I slipped a stitch so the pattern was out of line second time. O.K. so far on the first 8 rows of 3rd attempt. I'm still determined to give it a go.

16. [​IMG]
    Make sure you post us a piccie when it is finished!
    You must be so looking forward to becoming a Grandparent.

17. Now you have set me a new challenge before I finish this one. How to post a photo on here. Mmmmh?

18. I'm the same, I love the knitting bit but often feel it's the sewing together that looks the least professional! I also hate doing button holes when you're doing the button band having picked up the stitches, if you get what I mean.

As for blackberry stitch, it is often used in aran jumpers, cabling. Your pattern is obviously telling you how to do it, it's easy once you get the hang of it and looks really impressive.

19. Nooooooooooooooo worries, we can teach you that [​IMG]

20. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

The last baby jumper I knitted, only a couple of months ago, fitted perfectly everywhere except getting it over her head! My daughter had to undo the stitching at the neck to get it on! Well, I was in a different country at that time. The cardigan I'm doing now should be a better fit, it doesn't have a neck hole - if you know what I mean!!