1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Im going to Quito, Ecuador!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by quidditch, Dec 11, 2008.

1. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

So after the most random application I have accepted a 6 months teaching job at an International School in Quito.

Has anyone else worked in Quito.

Im getting a pretty nice deal (in Ecuador standards)
    I leave in Jan and back July (thats if i dont like it and end up staying)

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who's been to Quito or taught there...

2. Have a drink in The Turtle's Head. It used to get quite atmospheric in there when they lit the candles there used to be a great mixed grill on the menu - about five years ago anyway.

Funny business standing in front of a CCTV camera before they open the door to you as is the case in some bars there. If you want a preview you could watch the Russell Crowe/Meg Ryan movie 'Proof of Life' as it was filmed there (although it was set in the fictional 'Tacana' or somesuch).

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Quito has a very modern, sophisticated European-North-American looking centre with the kind of night life your students will sample enthusistically and come to class some mornings looking distinctly lethargic. There are older barrios, for instance up near the volcano, Guagua Pichincha, which are much more traditional. As with a number of mountain cities, the poor live uphill and the rich tend to move further down. The suburb of Tumbaco is a case in point. The volcano is active and was on 'orange alert' for several months about nine years ago, producing some good firework displays.

As in Britain there is very little 'climate' in Quito and a lot of weather. You can have tastes of all four seasons in one day. It is chilly at night, so take fleece, sweaters, anoraks etc etc. There are amazing views, notably of Cotopaxi. The opportunities for, walking, climbing, sightseeing, etc, are tremendous. There are wonderful handicrafts and jewellery to be had in the markets (and a lot of junk, so a local friend is a great asset to steer you round the pitfalls). Some of the ancient haciendas in the campo provide lodging for tourists. An experience not to be missed. You can easily feel that you're in an episode of Bonanza or Zorro. The music, both folk and classical, is well worth exploring.

Don't miss the ceviche which is a thousand percent better than sushi. The chain 'Los Ceviches de la Rumiñhaui' comes highly recommended.

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Lucky you, quidditch: enjoy!

(I was going to get all enthusiastic about Ceviche, but the Captain was in there first)

It's not all mountains: Pacific coastline too where you can warm up after the highlands and haul monsters out of the ocean if you fancy yourself as Hemingway. And don't miss Guayaquil, a complete dump of a place but a taste of the 'wild side'.

And... I wish it was me.

5. Mainwaring

Mind you, you don't have to travel to Latin America. My Ceviche del Cortijo Rector is powerful stuff. Unfortunately I haven't yet located pisco in Spain, so if anyone has any info it will be most gratefully received.

6. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

Thanks all its 6 months and i have a "cabana" in Tumbaco... so im not quite in Quito.
    Im trying to figure out the whole $ value there in regards to in the US... im assuming $1 in Ecuador got a little further than America.
    Its only for 6 months with the option to renew it if I want to stay.
    Trying to get the visa all arranged ASAP as I am meant to be there for Jan 7th.
    Should i bring anything for bug bites etc or are there plenty of pharmacies?

7. Mainwaring

Lots of farmacias in Tumbaco.The mozzies do bite but you probably don't need to worry about malaria. Down among the monos of Guayaquil it's a different story.

If you don't speak Spanish you'll have a good opportunity to learn. Quiteños speak very clearly, though with a little peculiarity I haven't encountered elsewhere, as in the following conversation I had with a friend:

MW: When you Quiteños speak you put in extra 'G's all over the place.

Lourdes: For example?

MW: Knock knock.

Lourdes: ¡QuienG es?

8. tica

tica New commenter

And don't forget to organise a trip to the Galapagos - an absolute must!

Bet you will extend your contract and become a Latinophile like so many people on this forum - the place gets to you.

9. Mainwaring

Seconded! Even Mrs M (who claims that she'd get seasick on the Serpentine) thought five days on a smallish boat was well worth it.

10. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

well i speak italian so im hoping it helps me a little to start with. :)

Yeah i had impressions of tumbaco being a small town but im getting a feeling its a place where all the rich seem to move (having googled the houses there)

are there a lot of USA/UK folks there?

11. I thought your post was about leaving the place...
    [​IMG]

12. Mainwaring

Ecuador is spectacularly beautiful but not always safe. Earlier this year when British friends of ours were staying in Guyaquil. A dozen men crashed into the hotel and robbed all the guests at gunpoint. My son's 80 year old partiall-sighted godfather resisted the loss of his wedding ring and was beaten over the head with a pistol. Being a tough old guy he recovered.

13. quidditch

quidditch New commenter

Did you apply? I know someone in most schools. It is a great city Quito with many ex-pats from Ireland, USA and UK. Which school was it? I'm a PM away.