1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i'm going to quit....tell me not to.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by strugglingHoD, Dec 8, 2019.

1. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

Ok,

So i've had just about everything thrown at me in this job. i've been in this current job for a few years and realized this job was not for me after 6 months. I've applied for other jobs, but due to my current title and the fact I'm UPS1 I'm not getting through(or some other random reason they are not giving me as everything else i get is just random...sorry...not what we are looking for). I don't want promotion, i just want to be a bog standard teacher again (Which means I'm up against NQT's)

Haven't had pay progression for 4 years. I've been accused of everything going and this last week i've had enough. Stress has finally broken me. I love the teaching, but it's everything else and working until 10pm every night.

Interestingly though...i can code, so now I'm thinking "sack it, I can code". I love teaching, it's all the politics and bull that goes with it. But i don't want to jump because it's an easy out, i want to make sure it's a viable career move(i've coded before i was a teacher, but that was 12 years ago, but i've kept it up whilst teaching to keep myself current).

I'm at a point where i don't mind what i do, but i have to get out of the current situation I'm in. Any Suggestions?

2. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

Just seen a lot of threads on this....its tough getting out of the job you are in, that's that hard bit. But i don't want to jump just because it's easier that way.

I love the teaching and the kids, but it's all the other stuff i'm having to deal with. current head has accused me of so much stuff and i've beaten it every time. it's how much fight i have left...

agathamorse likes this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

You want to go; go. You can code. You can freelance gig on many freelance job sites while you look for something permanent. Be prepared for the pay cut. Save money now and cut your expenditure.

install, sbkrobson and Shedman like this.
  4. 85Teacher2010

85Teacher2010 New commenter

Leave...I'm in the process of this struggle- love the kids and love to teach and dare I say planning creative lessons!! However I agree the 'red tape' is too much. Lately I've very been of the mindset that life is far too short to worry, be or get stressed, to work late or miss out on life as I have a pile of marking. It is a scary thought to leave, job security as the money is good BUT if you can live on a lower salary (it sounds like you are) then go. There will always be a need for teachers and speaking to a member of staff whom I've worked with again (they left the profession to just do supply), they pointed out that now they have a work life balance and would honestly never go back full time, they don't know how they did it....with all the stress etc. Also, someone recently said on another post that the kids will move on, they will probably not remember us later in life and in reality the parts of the job that are tough probably outweigh the parts we love. Good luck with whatever you decide to do...but remember whatever you do you should be happy, life is too short for it to be a sad and stressed out one :(

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  5. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I'd totally recommend investigating and reading about teaching abroad. I did it and have loved it! Not returning anytime soon. Doesn't have the same pressures as the UK and so you'd be able to save the money, holiday and stay within teaching.

Bsmart19, agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  6. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

"Talk me out of leaving" - sorry, why would I do a stupid thing like that? If you can earn money NOT teaching, and you are fed up with teaching - get out!

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  7. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

If you are going to quit why do you want talkinG out of it?

agathamorse likes this.
  8. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

You have to go for promotion, you can still teach on a reduced time - table; the system will not pay you as a class teacher; when they can employ an NQT.
    Education needs people of your calibre and enthusiasm.
    How about converting to F.E.?

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Brush up your CV and start applying for jobs. You've got another string for your bow so pull it back and launch the arrow of determination towards the target of a better life.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

you definitely need to get out, before you are damaged permanently

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If I may-this is where you are going wrong.
    You are HoD, which was a strategised career move. And you hate it.
    Where you are now is the deception of teaching as a career-you started out qualifying with determination, doing induction with determination, teaching with determination and then progressing with determination and....ooops, look! You hate it.
    So why do you want a "viable career move?" Do you want to move on to even more bull? Why not go instead for "what you enjoy doing"?
    You have one life. One chance to enjoy.

And no, I wont talk you out of it, you need telling.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  12. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

It would appear you've had a few years teaching experience under your belt. I'll go down management or pastoral routes which reduce your teaching load. Alternately, look for newly established Free Schools with low students intake or a relatively smaller schools (both with smaller class sizes). Life seems better in these schools than in larger academies.