1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm going to fail due to lack of evidence

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by UrsaMaterna, May 4, 2017.

1. UrsaMaterna

UrsaMaterna New commenter

Hello.

I don't know where else to ask.

If I fail a PGCE will I still be able to get some form of teaching job or will the 'fail' taint me.

I'm a science teacher with a biology degree who can teach biology and chemistry up to KS5

I'm pretty good with the teaching side of things, although my organisation skills require some work.

However, the PDP is proving an insurmountable mountain.
    I despise this more than I can put into words.
    The fact that a TEACHING degree cannot be passed unless the PAPERWORK is correct absolutely infuriates me.

So yeah. Will I have wasted a year of my life for nothing?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Your uni or provider will pull out all the stops to prevent you from failing - it's even possible to extend your end date to some extent. Remember, fails on their course look bad for them in their figures. They may be threatening you now, but they really don't want you to fail.

Without the PGCE pass you can't teach in a maintained school. Academies and independents don't require QTS, but they may prefer it; academies may refuse to pay you as a qualified teacher, i.e. 16k a year or something like that. You could work in FE or a 6th form college. Not having QTS may prevent you progressing in your career as it limits the schools who can take you on.

If you don't like paperwork you may struggle in the NQT year too - it depends on your school, you may have to produce paper evidence of the teacher standards, or you may be able to just discuss the things you've done with your NQT mentor.

You must have almost 2 months until the end of your course - ask you mentor for help. Just get some examples of your materials or PPTs used in lessons, emails you've exchanged with regards SEN kids or kids with poor behaviour, examples from lesson obs forms where you've had the kids' engagement commented on, details of any extra curricular clubs you've been involved in, and so on. Make a list of the standards, and write down next to each standard what you've done that could be used to show evidence of it. If you're 'pretty good with the teaching side of things' as you say, then you will have done things in lessons that can be used as evidence.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

It depends on your course. I can fail my PGCE and still teach because my recommendation for QTS and my PGCE are two very separate things.. But then I'm on SCITT and my PGCE is effectively done through distance learning.

I would check with your university whether or not you can still be recommended for QTS without the PGCE.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Most providers will separate QTS from the masters elements - so possible to fail the M level and still be awarded QTS. But it sounds as if Ursa is struggling with the QTS aspect. Ursa - you need to seek urgent help from your mentor and your provider with regard to evidence and compiling your portfolio. It is possible that you are not making the required progress as a trainee teacher, and this is why you do not have rich evidence. In this case you need some sort of formal support plan with targets to enable you to make progress. It is also possible that you are not clear how to represent the experiences you are having in the context of the Teachers' Standards. Either way, you need help and support.

wanet likes this.