1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm going on holiday and need some easy beach reads!

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Jools1808, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm off on holiday in 4 weeks (woo!) to enjoy my final term time holiday, as I'll be starting my NQT year in September.
    I love reading trashy novels on the beach, so would like some suggestions. I read very quickly and can be done with a book by the time the day is out on holiday, so keep them coming!
    I am actually pretty up for reading anything which isn't too heavy (brain is almost totally frazzled after the PGCE year!), so please feel free to suggest.
    Thank you!

2. Hi everyone,
    I'm off on holiday in 4 weeks (woo!) to enjoy my final term time holiday, as I'll be starting my NQT year in September.
    I love reading trashy novels on the beach, so would like some suggestions. I read very quickly and can be done with a book by the time the day is out on holiday, so keep them coming!
    I am actually pretty up for reading anything which isn't too heavy (brain is almost totally frazzled after the PGCE year!), so please feel free to suggest.
    Thank you!

3. I am going to put aside my jealousy of your holiday whilst I'll still be at school! I occasionally like a trashy novel, mainly chic lit such as Lisa Jewell who has a new book out now called The Making of Us which is pretty good for a laidback read. If you like crime, Karen Rose is the ultimate in trash, lots of dashing heroes and feisty heroines solving crime; simply fabulous.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Adele Parks books are good for the beach. A new came out recently but I can't remember what it's called. There's also a new Marian Keyes out in paperback which would make a nice beach read (I wouldn't call it trashy though!) Have a lovely time. [​IMG]

5. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

The Future Homemakers of America, or anything else by Laurie Graham. I wouldn't describe her as trashy, but the books of hers that I've read are quite light and funny if you don't mind being seen sniggering in the airport lounge. I buy a lot of books in charity shops and Future Housewives can often be found lurking there.

6. Pandora Peroxide

Pandora Peroxide New commenter

I don't do chick-lit type stuff I prefer crime but I have been reading the Stephanie Plum bounty hunter books by Janet Evanovich. They are prefect escapist reading - some crime, some sex and some laugh out loud moments.

7. I've just read 'Temptation' by Olivia Darling - completely trashy, but very very very enjoyable, as are her two previous 'novels'.

8. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Not a trashy book but an easy read and I couldn't put it down. Stayed in bed all day and read Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. Different. I love to escape for a day and once I get into a book I want to live it!
    Affinity by Sarah Waters was also different and enjoyable. Read over two days and compulsive.

9. In terms of Chick Lit - go Irish ( no disrespect but the authors just happen to come from there) - Patricia Scanlan Maeve Binchley Catherine Kelly Marian Keyes Sheila O'Flanagan then others- Madeleine Wickham as Sophie Kinsella Freya North Rebecca Sutherland Jane green and tochange continents l try Katherine Stockton _ the Help
    Or Alexander McCall Smith does a wonderful Scotland Street Series which encompasses all peculiarities of life

10. It's not trashy, but it's still an easy read while being clever, very funny and thought provoking - Burley Cross Postbox Theft by Nicola Barker.

11. Every summer holiday I indulge myself in a Georgette Heyer - I love them! They occupy a sort of mid-way point between Mills and Boon (not that I've ever read one of those) and Jane Austen. Well written, funny, feel-good, fab.You could easily read one in a day.
    Completely different but equally compulsive reading are Lee Child's 'Jack Reacher' thrillers. Love those too and will be taking one or two in my suitcase.
    Have a lovely holiday! [​IMG]

12. fab208

fab208 New commenter

I love Milly Johnson for escapism - the Birds and The Bees is my fave, Spring Affair is also good, but Here Come the Girls (set on a cruise ship) is her latestand readily available.
    I also like Marion keyes and Trisha Ashley. [​IMG]