1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm getting out :) :) :)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FriarLawrence, Feb 20, 2020.

1. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

As some of you know, some years ago I had a health crisis which was used to lever me out of a senior position and back to mainscale. It's been really hard, and my confidence has been shattered. Since that time, I've been applying and applying and applying - knew I had my letter right, because I kept getting interviews.

But I just kept blowing it. I had rejection after rejection after rejection - I was looking to move sector, having been state for nearly two decades, and I just never seemed to be what they were looking for. So disheartening; I thought I'd never get out.

Well, I'm getting out. I interviewed for a HOD post in a beautiful school, and... I got it. I start in Sept. It couldn't be more different from the schools I've always worked in - huge, complex, urban comps - but it feels so right. The kindness and calm of the place just inspired me from the first moment I walked in the doors, and after years of feeling like I was total ****, to have the kind of positive feedback they gave me, and the words "we're so excited to have found you" when I got the offer. Well. I can't tell you how it feels - honestly a bit confusing, but so SO good.

Anyway, two things:
    1. thank you to all the WD regulars and irregulars. This forum has kept me sane, though I've always lurked far more than I've posted. The advice and guidance from some really inspiring and experienced people here is really something, even if we sometimes revert to SLT ARE EVIL by default ;)

2. If you're where I was - stuck, nearly despairing, thinking teaching is over for you - there is hope. Keep trying. You'll get there. I really thought I might have to find a whole other job, which broke my heart because the classroom has always been my home, and I really didn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. YOU WILL GET THERE. It'll be OK. It's not your fault: the system chews us up, especially when we're vulnerable. It's not you. Hold on.
    I'm sure I'll still lurk, but I wanted to say thanks to you all. This is an invaluable resource for us all, and long may it continue. x

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well done.
    Enjoy the rest of half term.
    Start moving your personal stuff from the old school asap, as well as backing up all your electronic resources.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

All congratulations @FriarLawrence ! So good to hear of a positive outcome. Sorry though to hear of the horrid stuff too. All credit to you for hanging on in there and escaping the rot that has set in to state school teaching.
    Good advice there from @phlogiston

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Congratulations, @FriarLawrence. So pleased for you - it's lovely to read some good news about a job and your post will give hope to others in a similar position. It sounds like a very supportive school. Enjoy the rest of half term and start to prepare for your big move. Exciting times!

5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Congratulations. :D
    Thanks for posting - let us know how the last few weeks in Hellhole High School go. And then the next weeks in the new place, too.

Lalad, FriarLawrence and agathamorse like this.
  7. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I’m so pleased for you with your excellent news. Best wishes to you from me for the future FriarLawerence.

8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Reading about your excitement for your new job, and your optimism for the future has really made my day - well done!

AlwaysAdaptable and jlishman2158 like this.
  9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Congratulations. Lovely to hear your news and thank you for the post.

10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Cngratulatioms. Great to hear a positive story.

11. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

Thanks for your kind words, everyone :) It's even more real this morning, being back in school and knowing that sweet, sweet escape hatch is waiting for me!

Bedlam3 likes this.