1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Im Finished with teaching!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Yesterday999, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Yesterday999

Yesterday999 New commenter

After teaching for 8 years in secondary school i have decided to resign and will be finished by December! I feel free! Im sure im just one of many who are leaving or planning to leave because they cant handle the pressure. In fact pressure is something i dont mind but when it comes to meaningless data entry or other **** that we have to do that have nothing to do with teaching and learning i have to say no, i would rather spend time with my family on the weekends.

I do have a job lined up which is only slightly less that im on now. In fact if you work out the pay by the hour im probabaly on the same.

I just wanted to share this with people who are thinking of leaving that another career is possible.

2. lucywig

lucywig New commenter

Hi

Out of interest what job are you moving to? Did you hand notice in before you had a job?

Thanks

3. izzywhizzal

izzywhizzal Occasional commenter

Please, please share with me the job you have lined up! PM me if at all possible. I am in a horrific space, having had total lies fabricated about me by a new HT, in order to make me leave. I am so insulted, having worked tirelessly to the benefit of the school, that someone can come in and put in writing things that would be completely out of character for me....and get away with it because everyone believes the HT and is too scared to question her false assumptions. I am so stressed out and don't want to step inside another school again; that's how bitter I sadly am at the moment. Please please share x

sebedina and oceanroc7 like this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done @Yesterday999 on getting a new job, and here's hoping that it is everything that you wanted!

Best wishes

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Congrats mate... envious.

Katierobertson likes this.
  7. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

That's good to hear. I decided not to pursue any more teaching jobs after my last contract ended and am now looking at other options. After a few years in the job I too decided that teaching as it is today is fraught with unnecessary pressure and stress. I don't have another job yet but do have a sense of sanity again. Your mental health and well-being are more important. Best wishes.

sebedina, ucsa001 and guinnesspuss like this.
  8. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Another one bites the dust.

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Many congratulations on your new job. Enjoy your new life.

All the best

pepper5

10. Pepper78

Pepper78 New commenter

Yes please do tell what is it you're moving to? And well done you for making it happen!

11. Anonymity

Anonymity Occasional commenter

Please take me with you!!

12. Veerwal

Veerwal New commenter

Well done @Yesterday999. I did exactly the same, haven't got a job to go to but am sure something will happen. I haven't felt this happy and empowered for a long time and am now actually enjoying being in the classroom because I'm not bothered about doing any of the in my opinion useless stuff anymore.

13. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Well done and congratulations, OP. I really hope you enjoy your new career.

14. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

hecthepigeon.... are you in a Union? Have you contacted them re your situation?

cissy3 and TEA2111 like this.
  15. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

If teachers had the guts to stand up and refuse to do all the rubbish that hasn't anything to do with teaching it would soon get scraped. Unfortunately most teachers just keep their heads down and take it in the neck.

All, or a large number, of the teachers in a school need to corner the head, in a dark little corner, and scare the s*** out of him/her. Shouldn't be too hard.

vinnie24 and Veerwal like this.
  16. rachellongfils

rachellongfils New commenter

17. davehx

davehx New commenter

I, too, would be keen to learn what you are moving into

18. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

If only @David Getling ... those that do get the sack. If the Trade Union Bill goes through parliament then our hands will be tied further still.

cissy3 and pineapplehead like this.
  19. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

The only way for this nonsense to stop is for ALL staff to stand together. Sadly it just will not happen.

The best thing you can do is leave teaching.

ucsa001 and lanokia like this.
  20. rmr09

rmr09 New commenter

I've left too!! No job to go to though! There's more to life than ensuring pupils have stuck their worksheets in with a spirit level!