1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm done.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by suertesamp, Mar 22, 2020.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I have decided to quit supply, and not go back even when this covid-19 stuff blows over. I find cover too stressful and frankly, not worth the stress anymore. I keep trying to get behaviour management right but still most classes are a disaster. I have applied for a shelf stacking job at Tesco which I think I'll find less stressful. The way I see it is, it isn't up to me to fix people's kids. If their parents can't be bothered to teach them respect then some other mug can do the job.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can completely understand that decision and imagine the students returning having had little structure and 'not having to stick to rules' for however long returning and trying to get control of classesl!

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi sue

I don't blame you at all.

The money isn't worth it - not for the work you have to do and dangers you face plus the ingratitude of some of the students.

You will be absolutely fine and even if you stack shelves, in time you might find something better.

Keep posting as lots of ex supply teachers and permanent teachers post.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Although I was on on supply for a year I am so pleased that I got out at the end of January. I really enjoy my new job and I no longer stress about a guaranteed income coining in each month.

5. HistoriaVictoria

HistoriaVictoria New commenter

I am trying to find out roughly how many supply teachers there are in the UK. I have emailed my MP, the NASUWT national leadership and my senior regional rep to see if supply PAYE will be covered by the Friday announcement. I have also asked them how many supply teachers there are?

6. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I'd have thought supply is better any day than stacking shelves. I'd find that boring myself and would rather babysit. Each to their own though.

7. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

Depends on the school, shelves don't tell you to F off on a daily basis! I totally agree and sympathize with the original post. If anything positive comes out of this it could well be that the current situation spurs me on to leave teaching for good.

8. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

I think I will. I will stick in there through this. Claim whatever benefits I am owed and continue to help schools if they are forced to open during holidays.

But after this. I don't know. Things like this are a wake up call for people...because it will get worse. Everyone I see around either isn't affected yet or in the denial phase I passed that ages ago. Lives will change. Marriages end. Jobs dropped...or people will learn nothing and go back to normal. BUT this is huge.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I suspect a lot of supply teachers will drift away from it in the next few months.

I've stacked shelves too (I used to work nights at Tescos) - it isn't terribly exciting

10. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I really hope every supply teacher is going to be ok in this abyss.

I will be telling my agency that I may have to move careers if they can’t push for some benefits / retainer pay for me until September. I know for a fact that I’m one of the most frequently booked supply teachers in my area, so it’s in their interests to look after me until then. I will try to find out more info tomorrow. Good luck everyone.

11. pwtin

pwtin Star commenter

I think the important thing is to actually stick to your decision once you have made it. I worked on supply for almost 18 years and many is the time I threatened to give up without actually really doing so. After a little break there was always an excuse to go back.

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am glad I do not work as a supply teacher although it was an interesting job since I covered a lot of different subjects in different schools and it was something different every day. I had some good classes at times and that is what I miss the most - the well behaved kids who were grateful. I truly met some smashing students. Not all classes were awful. A lot of them were...but there were also some hard working ones as well.

Towards the last three years,I did notice it became more difficult to maintain order even in what used to be my favourite school.

Looking back, I should have left a lot sooner than I did.

Once you find a job, you will be relieved you left.

13. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

That is exactly the same as my experience.

Supply was a good choice when I first started at the tail end of the 90s. Very varied work, some great schools and students to work with, freedom to take time off when I choose and the pay was pretty good too.

But from about 2008 it started to go downhill, slowly at first and then into freefall. The salary stopped going up each year and even went down in some cases, work got scarcer and behaviour definitely got worse, even in what were decent schools.

I left three years ago, I earn more and it can be relied on, paid holiday/sick leave much less hassle and an easier working day. At first I did wonder if I would go back to supply teaching and hung onto some of my resources. Most of them have now been thrown out and perhaps the few remaining ones will go in the next few weeks whilst I am working from home.

14. joebov

joebov New commenter

Hi there sport,
    Funnily enough I spent quite a while night time shelf stacking (Asda not Tesco), before I did my PGCE and then supply.

Take it from me - stacking is a LOT LESS stressful - and nearly as well paid.

Good Luck mate.

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

What @abwdSTEM is true. A supply teacher in the mid-Nineties, even working through one of the then new agencies, could get £80-100 per day. You would be lucky to get that now!

16. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

Please say that you haven't officially resigned from your agency/ies yet. That furlough pay would come in handy no?

17. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I thoroughly agree with quitting supply. I told my agencies literally a handful of days before schools were closed that I felt it was too risky health-wise going to different schools each day, especially as a couple of my schools had had "scares", and so I was suspending my availability temporarily until we knew more.

I received NOT A WORD of response, or merely acknowledgement of email, or yes we'll get back to you at the end of all this, or "keep safe" or anything. Silence. I think that just about summed up the value they put on me and so I will certainly not be considering supply this coming academic year and will urgently look for something else in the meantime. The idea of setting eyes on another school fills me with dread.

I am sick of having things thrown at me in class, whether insults or physical items, sick of trying to fill lessons where work hasn't arrived, sick of travelling 30-40 miles each way for the pay, often as a cover supervisor in desperation even though I am QTS, and sick of being treated like some kind of leech on the academic community.

Rant over!!

tolkien28, MrLW1, MarieAnn18 and 3 others like this.
  18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi ellenlilymay

We don't mind rants.

I have been out of supply teaching for a year now and do not miss it apart from some of the great students I taught. I don't miss the agencies or like you, having things thrown at me in class or the fear of mobile phones and being filmed. In the end, it is no exaggeration to say it almost desyroyed me and I wish I had left 5 years earlier.

You deserve better and I am sure you will find something soon.

sebedina, MrLW1, MarieAnn18 and 3 others like this.
  19. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

As stressful as this time is. It is nice to have a break from the constant anxiety. It's nice to have a Sunday without the dread of Monday. It's nice to exist in a world where you don't have to watch your every word in case some vicious teenager twists it into a safeguarding issue. It's nice not to be at the behest of idiots anymore.

I agree and concur with the OP. I think I'm done.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I will retire in two years time - at one time I was considering maybe doing an odd day on supply just for old times sake.

But I won't ever do it - my last day in the classroom (when it comes) will be my last day in the classroom.