1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm doing a reading at my Mum's funeral

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, Mar 18, 2016.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

But I don't know what to choose, something not overly soppy and sentimental, nor overly religious. Does anyone have any ideas? Something from Shakespeare maybe?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You could choose a favourite poem (we had 'The Listeners' by Walter De La Mare at my Mother's - it's one she loved), or a short extract from an author she liked reading, perhaps.

Or choose something you like, but that reminds you of your Mother...

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That would be my suggestion- something to honour your mum's memory. My husband read out an old school report of his father's at his recent funeral.

grumpydogwoman and Dragonlady30 like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

One tip, learn it by heart. When I did this my eyes becme tearful (wasn't expecting this) luckily I had learnt it so the fact that I couldn't see properly to read it didn't matter.

InkyP, delnon, lanokia and 3 others like this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The school report sounds a great idea. I love that.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I have found 2 and I'd like to read them both.

Parable On Immortality

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch until at last she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and the sky come down to mingle with each other. Then someone at my side says, “There she goes.”

Gone where? Gone from my sight…that is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination. Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says, “There she goes”, there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, “Here she comes!”

Henry Van Dyke

How do We Let A Mother Go

How do we let a mother go?
    How do we say "I'm ready now to go on without you"?
    How can we ever have a clue of what that really means?
    And of a sudden the moment is upon us, and there's no turning back.
    And then we know what grief is,... and guilt and love and things undone.
    Try to prepare and we will fail in some way, be it subtle or looming....

But there is peace too. peace and acceptance and overwhelming love that we maybe weren't aware of. waves and waves of conflicting emotion,
    And laughter too, and memories we hadn't bothered lately to recall come flooding back in shared company.. and it's all about you mum...

And there's gratitude.. so much of that, that we had you, such a wonderful mother...Bright and shining, nobody's fool, independent, but humble too;
    Smart, and kind, and fun.
    Adventurous..
    A part of you has passed away, but much is carried everyday within us, and will as long as we are here.

This may be a final tribute,
    A day to celebrate your life and say goodbyes;
    But it's not final.
    Every day I'll celebrate in some way, just by the virtue of how you shaped my life,
    The absolute and incredible fortune that I knew you.
    As a mother, a friend and a woman.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Right then. You're sorted!

Print them out in a huge font so, if you do go all lachrymose, you can see through the mist of tears.

Lara mfl 05 and FrankWolley like this.
  10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Nothing to add. Just want to say how sorry I am to hear of this, and thoughts with you.

wanet and kibosh like this.
  11. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Sorry to hear of your loss, Lapin.x

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Same, sorry to hear of your loss.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What Cissy said. I think you've chosen carefully, both pieces are lovely. The Parable on Immortality is like a painting, but in words. Very moving.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sorry to hear about this @lapinrose

Not sure if this helps, but I had to do a reading once for a girl who had been in my form and died at the age of 17. I practised in advance and thought I wouldn't be able to hold myself together on the day, so like @wanet I learned it by heart and prior to my reading I recited in my head a scene from the Pink Panther where Clouseau asks "Do you have a license for your minkey?" which I found hilarious. It helped to take me out of the immediate scene and be able to read clearly and coherently.

wanet and Dragonlady30 like this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I'm sorry to hear about your mum, lapin. Best of luck with your reading.

wanet likes this.
  16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Sorry to read your news :(

This was read at a funeral I was at recently and it struck me as very appropriate.
    http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html The Road Less Travelled

ilovesooty likes this.
  17. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Thanks for all your kind wishes.

wanet, kibosh and RedQuilt like this.
  18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Sorry to hear your news. I hope on the day your memories of her will be good and your heart will remember her as she was in life and not as she was in death.xx

kibosh and wanet like this.
  19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Robert Frost is lovely. I like "After Apple Picking" too.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum @lapinrose xx

20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I like the Henry van Dyke. Both are good but you know what fits best. Sorting out these details is a comfort I think. I hope all goes smoothly and you feel comfortable with your choice.