1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm continually skint!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrResource, May 15, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

How much goes on online phone slot games?

2. aideng

aideng New commenter

I am surprised that more has not been said about at least a stint overseas, even if it does not suit you in the long run, or you just prefer UK life and want to return. One year earning overseas was enough to wipe out 22 grand GBP worth of debt for me, and money is now accruing in my account at a furious rate that would just be unthinkable back home. This is just as a regular teacher with no further responsibility payment.

Just imagine four years of work and savings yielding 120 grand plus in savings (more if you are a teaching couple). This kind of money, together with the great advice on this thread already, could make a huge difference to the life of someone like the OP.

3. towncryer

towncryer Established commenter

I am glad things have worked out for you but please don't exaggerate the benefits of working overseas.There are expenses associated with moving and visas etc which can make the first year nothing more than a break even.. You must have been extremely fortunate to accrue such a pile in your very first year. I have been working overseas a long time and no one I know has manged that in their first year..but good for you..
    Yes it can be good and I'll admit to being better off than I would have been had I stayed in UK...but it hasn't always been easy.
    Not everyone adapts to overseas life. Not everyone manages their money properly...in fact,especially in the Middle East, I have seen individuals get completely carried away with things to the tune of buying expensive cars and furnishing their houses like palaces...then when it all goes pear shaped they are struggling to pay off the debt.I have seen just as many people return to the UK with nothing,after a considerable time earning a good salary as I have seen people leaving with a nice nest egg.
    Basically if you are struggling to manage your finances back home then it's likely you will do no better overseas even with more money in your pay packet,
    Though good for some it must not be touted as the answer to all financial difficulties which is why it has not been mentioned on here too much from those of us not wearing our rose tinted (Armani) specs.

4. aideng

aideng New commenter

Granted; If you are continually skint, then i suppose it is possible that there is a money management problem that you can carry with you abroad, but at the same time, catching 'expat-itis' as some call it is not a prerequisite of earning more.

One also has to remember that you are on your own with your finances, and not always getting employer contributions for pensions (although you get a yearly or end of contract bonus in lieu), and so need to be a careful planner in order to make things work for you.

I will therefore respectfully modify my entreaty to state that those who are sensible, emotionally stable, adaptable, somewhat financially savvy, and who are able to save and invest the extra money that one can accrue abroad, could consider the long term benefits that even a two year stint could bring.

PS The amount of money I stated above came from a take home pay of 3116 GBP per month (in year 1). 1000-1200 of this went on living expenses (max 700 GBP per month due primarily to free housing) and paying for a number of holidays during the year, so the remaining 2000+ GBP per month could be saved and used for debt repayment, and some modest savings on top.

I don't feel I am exaggerating the financial benefits that have come from being abroad, and this does not scratch the surface of the other benefits for my life and work, but that can depend very much on the place and the school, and in that sense, I have been lucky.

I am only telling my own truth as an example (and not a particularly egregious financial one compared to some packages available worldwide). People can make of it what they will.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    EmanuelShadrack and towncryer like this.
  5. towncryer

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

@towncryer im wondering why you "would never ever recommend it as the way out of financial problems in the UK"?

Surely its an easy solution if you do fanancial issues in the UK. its very easy to get a job internationally that pays more than the UK, and you outgoings would be significantly less. Savings potential can be huge, something most people in the UK would struggle with due to the extreme cost of living.

Just avoid western europe, particularly the sunny southern ones and you are almost guaranteed to earn significantly more. The free accomodation is a big bonus

7. towncryer

I would never recommend it even though it has been a good thing for me.because it's a huge thing to uproot and go live in another country. Some schools are not all they promise to be and not everyone can adapt to the different lifestyle or education systems. Because it can turn into a disaster for some people (and I have seen this happen to some colleagues) it is not something to advise people to do as a way out of their problems.,whether they are financial,marital or other, I just do not feel right telling people that this is what they should do just because it turned out well for me.They need to know about both sides.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Fair enough

towncryer likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you go into Sainsbury's today you get a free box of tea bags and a free packet of Ginger Snaps.

Can't say fairer than that.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Then there's being an intelligent, easily influenced character loose in a world of manipulators.