1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm continually skint!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DrResource, May 15, 2019.

1. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

It's really bothering me! I'm always in the red before the end of the month. If I go out then I have to be careful what I spend. After nearly 30 years as a so called "professional" teacher I'm getting sick and tired of flogging my guts out for little reward!

I have friends who are retired after 30 years, earning more in pension than I earn in my annual salary! I seem to have worked twice as hard with no perks of the job - it really is getting me down!

Any ideas for making a bit of money? Legit ones of course ;)

BetterNow likes this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Divorce your Maleficent.

3. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

If your subject is chemistry, you could try your luck at starting a meth lab. If it takes off, you certainly wouldn't be in the red at the end of the month. (You might be in something else though.)

OK, perhaps it's not absolutely 100% legit, but let's not split hairs.

moggycat, sodalime, vannie and 3 others like this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

:D

The exciting lifestyle of the gangsta ex-chemistry teacher.

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Very good! It was always about the Chemistry...

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Before taking on extra work, why not spend some time looking for better deals on house and car insurance and on energy providers and phone operators?
    Find out when your local supermarkets mark down food and stock your freezer with bargain food. The day before yesterday I bought 3 loaves of proper bread for 8p each. Two of them went straight in the freezer.
    Consider changing your bank. We're with Santander 123 and get cashback on energy bills and Council Tax, and get interest on credit balances.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you have a mortgage, consider remortgaging to a lower interest rate.
    Do you have a spare room? Consider taking a lodger for a few months or so. You can take up to £7500 per year tax free. Perhaps there's a colleague who might be interested. My daughter was a lodger with a friend for a year and it enabled the friend to finance all her white goods and have a good holiday. My daughter benefitted from not having all the costs of renting a flat, and built up her own flat purchase deposit.

towncryer, emerald52 and ilovesooty like this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

What sort of jobs did your friends do to be earning more in pension than your salary after 30 years of teaching?

Jamvic likes this.
  9. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

Look for a job teaching abroad with accommodation provided.

Worked out ok me.

towncryer likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Learn to Budget

border_walker likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Depends how you define skint. I could say I have been skint all my life. I certainly never realised the level of wealth some people in teaching do.

towncryer likes this.
  12. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Become vegetarian, cut down on alcohol, buy clothes from charity shops, plan meals, do paid work in the summer holidays. Take a set amount of cash out each week rather than using contactless. Have a spread sheet will all your spending listed.

towncryer and afterdark like this.
  13. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

As a supply teacher I totally understand skint. Just as I make progress I lose pay due to holidays and my meagre savings are gone. I'll never be able to retire.

I have started a business and hopefully this will provide a better future.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

You could try selling lots of teaching resources at high prices, and in order to kick start sales you could post something pseudo ironic about your need to make those money on the Community Forum so that people could link in to your post and see those items for sale and then go on to buy them.

15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Nah, can't see that working.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm a failure in life. Even though my pension is enormous I have very few friends with bigger pensions and even fewer with pensions bigger than my earnings.

17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have three books published on Amazon. I must have had as much as £24 in royalties now.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm just finishing a children's book - when I get it published it will make my fortune

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Not really

towncryer and Mrsmumbles like this.
  20. DrResource

DrResource New commenter

When you are looking for a bit of help someone comes along and kicks you down! Thanks.