1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm confused - Y2 literacy units

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bertsgirl, Apr 18, 2011.

1. bertsgirl

bertsgirl New commenter

My brains gone into holiday mode! I'm trying to plan for next term. I know I have a bit more to do to finish off Information texts. Before the holiday we compared big books and i-book about space.Looked at contents, index, etc. Then we found info, made notes and finished by using notes to write a short description of different planets for a display. Now I'm looking ahead to non-chronological reports and it sounds exactly like what we have just done. Can anyone help be get started by giving me a quick outline of the kinds of things you do for this and how it differs from non-fiction?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. Thongy1

Thongy1 New commenter

Non-chronological text IS a non-fiction text, just a particular type with it's own characteristics to set it apart from, say, persuasive writing, or instructions for instance. From ye olde writing flyers(!):-
    There are many occasions across the primary curriculum when children need to learn about the characteristics of something – what it is (or was) like. These include:
    history, e.g. aspects of daily life in any historical period
    science, e.g. characteristics, general life patterns and habitats of plants and animals
    geography, e.g. descriptions of localities and geographical features.
    The problem with such information is that it does not always have an immediately obvious organisational structure, like the chronological sequence of a story.Before they can talk or write about the topic succinctly, pupils must find ways of organising the facts logically and coherently.
    A note-making ‘skeleton’ can help pupils organise their thoughts logically and so clarify understanding of what they have learned. Organising notes in this way helps pupils see how facts can be clustered. This also suggests how best to divide their writing into sections and/or paragraphs when they write up their notes into a non-chronological report.

4. I agree this unit is very similar to the Information texts unit but can lead in from it quite well. My only problem with it is that year 2 children find it so hard to get the information "tone" right - and for the lower ability who can hardly write a sentence about their holidays, this is really a bit much!

I try to work towards an information "poster" rather than a report as the children can see that different sections will need a sub-heading, a paragraph and a picture.

5. I have just taught Non-chronological reports to my class and I think it went quite well.
    We looked at lots of different types of non chronological reports and went on a feature hunt. Could they find the Headings? Sub-headings? Pargraphs? Key words? All things they were familiar with from doing alot of work around non fiction books.
    We used the different reports to find information and answer questions and discussed how the different features help us find the answers.
    We then traced over a report and used this as our plan for our own reports. e.g. The chidlren wrote heading, pargraph, sub heading etc
    We then planned our report, gathered information and then wrote our own report. We then finished by checking our report againist the criteria we made at the start of the unit.
    Next week we are going to recap over this and hopefully they havent forgotten it all over the Easter break and we are going to write an imagainative report about a made up animal.

Hope that all makes sense

6. Check out Talk for Writing stuff, if it still exists?
    Using TfW to write a non chron report on Unicorns.