1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I'm coming home :)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DogsareNOTstupid, Aug 5, 2015.

1. DogsareNOTstupid

DogsareNOTstupid New commenter

Sorry for a completely self-indulgent post, but i am so excited!! And OH has gone to bed…..

Earlier, I'd been contemplating the fact that it's been a year since my last trip home for my mum's 90th. I've been unemployed ever since and thinking that it's sad that it's my dad's 90th this year and I'm obviously not in a financial position to do it again. And that they are both older and I probably won't see both of them alive again, and was just starting to feel a tad maudlin.

And then, incredibly, my parents phoned and said that they'd really like me to come over for my dad's 90th party and since I'm not otherwise employed as yet, and therefore not too busy, then they'd really like to pay for my airfare!

So, yes. Might even see one or two of you over there… [​IMG]

2. tidal

tidal New commenter

3. DogsareNOTstupid

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I think I would have said I'm going home rather than coming.

Hmmm.

5. DogsareNOTstupid

What a lovely positive contribution to my good news.

Thank you :)

6. lilachardy

Sorry, it wasn't meant to come across like that, I was just thinking. It is good news!

7. DogsareNOTstupid

Och! Don't mind me! It's actually an interesting point.

To Australians I will probably say "I'm going home" because I am leaving here.

To people in the UK then "I'm coming home" is more natural because I am coming to them.

And some of you, hopefully [​IMG]

8. lilachardy

I think I'd only say coming to the people I was actually staying with, but I'm not sure.

It reminded me of a friend who used to send me a text saying "I'm nearly here"...

9. DogsareNOTstupid

That made me smile [​IMG]

Yep. Now that I've though about it a bit more, it would sound really odd for me to say "I'm going to Scotland" to anyone who is already there. I'm 'coming' towards them, so I will say "I'm coming home"

And I'm 'going' to Scotland for the Aussies. :

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh exciting. And such good news, and very generous of your parents, as you're not in a financial position to be able to come. Son No1 is looking at a 'sort of late honeymoon' next year as his OH has relatives with 89 & 90th birthdays coming up next year and the fares are very expensive I know.

11. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I've got the old - [​IMG]"I'm coming home, I've done my time" song in my head now...

What lovely news from you, Dogs. A long trip with a great outcome. When are you travelling? Are you a 'good' flier? Scottish weather? What are you going to pack? So many questions.... xx

12. lilachardy

Ah now, you're not coming near me, that's why I thought I would have said going. Different audiences....

It is good news. I've not even managed a night away this summer, so I'm well jell!

13. DogsareNOTstupid

Thank you Lara. It is really generous of them, given that they funded last year's trip for my mum's 90th. I read your Alzheimer's thread. My dad is getting particularly 'forgetful'. My mum refuses to have him do a mind test at the local surgery as she does not want to recognise that there might be a problem.

I wasn't actually necessarily expecting, given the distance and the cost, to see them again, so it is a huge gift, and I am phenomenally grateful to them, and incredibly excited :)

14. Could this coincide with a meet, perchance?

I must admit that when I read the thread title I mentally appended "for good"!

15. DogsareNOTstupid

OH, TES Is being difficult! Or my internet is being incredibly slow, so I can't quote and reply just now..

Rachelpaula ? I"m afraid I bought that song fairly recently to add to mu iTunes

*looks suitably embarrassed*

Biillboakes.. yes! A meet could easily be organised!

If I fly into London, would that be good?

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hope you have a lovely time visiting friends and family. And eating whatever you can't get in Oz!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, I thought you meant you were moving back here. But hey. A visit's also good!

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That's exciting! When will it be?

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Yippeeee!

20. josienig

josienig Star commenter

Have a great trip home Dogs.