1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Im an NQT in a yr 1 one form entry private school....HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DePaor88, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Im an NQT startin in a year 1 class and litterly have no clue what to do... As in the planning has been left for me but I havent been able to see it yet. Gettin into school as soon as I can, but my classroom hasnt as yet been touched by me or being given it my 'flavour'. Im more concerned about the class and what to do with them in the first week....
    I have zero information for on the children coming in, other than there are a few 'interesting' ones!! :)
    I would appreciate any help...whatsoever!!!
    Thanks in advance :D x

2. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/510065.aspx?PageIndex=1 Start by reading this thread.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/50-ideas-for-meeting-your-new-class-6049443/ Download this document. See what ideas you like.
    I will be spending 1 session on the whole school rules, reminding them what they are, discussing why we have them and explaining rewards and sanctions for these rules.
    I will get on with some maths and literacy because I feel they the structure and to understand what is expected from them for this year. I'm going to set out my stall from the beginning.

3. well i am going to start teaching a year one class and this is my first year of teaching, so what i would recommend is yes getting to know the children by doing breaking activites, also setting out grounds rules of what is expected of them. furtheremore the strucutre of year one eg how it ia taught in terms of different subjects that the children will learn as this will be new to them coming into year one as this year is when the more formal teaching takes places, timetable of the day
    i hopw this helps, but really the schools should help you bit more in terms of planning and getting to know the children
    anyways hope it helps [​IMG]
    p.s look at the primary sector in this website it has loads of infor also look at schemes of work as this helps in terms or planning it gives ideas. if your unsure of the website to gain acess to the schems of work then let me know

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Yes, mine do lots of 'breaking activities', very annoying.
    I would be very concerned about the OP's class too, especially in the literacy area!

5. for greta444,

yes i know what you mean breaking activites can at times be annoying, you mention something about the OP's class what do you mean if you dont minde me asking

6. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

Apart from agreeing class 'rules', my year one class will do lots of choosing and I will be sitting with small groups througout the day and doing a speaking and listening activity about what lies ahead. The day will be broken up with a few carpet sessions doing five minutes at a time of counting activities, singing, show and tell etc.This way they get to bond again, I get to gauge where they are individually and they can explore their environment and feel safe. I think it's a mistake to be too formal too soon with this age group. They need to feel secure before they are in a position to do anything else.Hopefully we will all ednd the day having enjoyed being together and ready to move forwards.

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I mean that the OP's spelling and punctuation is appalling! Good luck to that class!

8. greta444 "I mean that the OP's spelling and punctuation is appalling! Good luck to that class!"

well like they say humans can make mistake too, but like to say well spotted the mistakes.[​IMG]

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Can't anyone spell anymore? Yes - I know this is a forum and you are on the computer but you are supposed to be teachers!! I know people criticise others for commenting on spelling and punctuation. Occasional errors are forgivable but what does this mean?
    And as for the OP!! Still - I'm sure the nice private school they're teaching in will tolerate spelling mistakes in their teachers.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Spelling didn't seem to me to be the main issue with either of the two posters on here that are open to criticism. A total lack of grammatical knowledge, including basic sentence construction, concerns me more.

Yes we do all type in a rush sometimes and make the odd mistake, but some things ought to be instinctive.

11. Yup- terrible spelling and grammar ("litterly"?!) but also a complete lack of understanding of how to teach Year 1........... how could a school not prepare their NQT for the task ahead?!

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

I think the spelling has been 'fatnastice' as one of the posters on this thread once memorably put it ...

13. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What is more worrying is the blissful ignorance ...

14. I'm really sorry but this has led to a new thread about the quality of spelling and grammar. I know you asked for help and advice but I was seriously shocked by the standards displayed. I apologise if you were in a rush but if you weren't, then it is a bit worrying that you are teaching year 1 who are learning how to spell and construct sentences.
    Nothing personal meant.